Getting rid of the smell.

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Getting rid of the smell.
« on: September 03, 2023, 15:48 »
The painter finished on Friday.  The bedroom, North facing, had something painted on the walls, Maybe to seal the cobweb cracks.  Then a heavy duty wallpaper lining paper hung vertically.  (wallpaper paste ?)  Then two coats of Dulux trade emulsion.  No gloss paintwork.  The room smells terrible, it is the walls.
Today all windows and doors open.   Will the smell gradually dissipate as it drys out and is there anything I can do to speed it up  ?    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

AndyRVTR

Re: Getting rid of the smell.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 17:16 »
Easy Mrs B... cut some Onions in half, leave them on small plates around the house and believe it or not, the onions draw in the smell.. we do it every time now!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 20:27 »
Oh, thanks for that.  I am off to the onion shop in the morning.  Had all doors and windows open all day, I am sure it all needs to dry out, but I will give the onions a try, cheers,  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 09:01 »
I thought that today's paint was less pungent than it used to was. When I emulsioned our back porch last year I could hardly smell anything and the year before we had the woodwork in the lounge done and same thing again. Mmmm.  ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 12:06 »
Entirely my fault for suggesting the painter use a tin which had been in the garage for a few years - what a cheap-skate am I.   It seems that water in the emulsion goes rancid and sets up a chemical re-action, so now the smell is getting worse.    Thursday, it all starts again,  he is going to strip the paper, wash down with sugar soap, then repaper, then re-emulsion.   I have lost confidence in the emulsion make, so am having Albany instead.  So, if you have had it stashed away - get rid.  An expensive job, with me trying to save.  ::) ::)  Mrs Bouquet

wighty

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 17:31 »
Please Mrs. B, listen to me. Albany is owned by Brewers, based in Eastbourne, who use one of the smaller producers to manufacture their own paint brand.  Paul has been selling paint for 40 years and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, that was his words.  Yes they are cheap, but for a reason.  You'd be better off with B&Q own brand, or come and see us on the Island, we'll give yo u a 'special' discount. :D

xx
How to get rid of the smell

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 21:25
by mumofstig
xx
Curry Smell

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2019, 17:26
by Aunt Sally
xx
Petrichor - the smell after rain.

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 14:01
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 44 queries.