Confused! Dot com lol help needed !!

• 12 Replies

Maisiesmum

« on: March 08, 2007, 10:16 »
Hi guys

off to get chickens this afternoon....probably gonna just get warrens like i have.  BUT I have read that the farmer might have some Marans...what size are their eggs?  I know they lay about half the amount as warrens but would that be worth it?  Also what is a fair price for one??

Help need advice asap or might do the wrong thing then will be too late LOL

Thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:43 »
Marans I think are a utility breed so the eggs should be about the same as every other hen of that size,but they lay a very dark shelled egg http://www.marans.co.uk/ is worth a look, I have three warrens got them from a place in Hinckley cost me £3.50 at POL in 2005, same place this year is selling them at £4.80 ! but mine are still laying 1 or 2 a day between them, for a long while we had 3 a day occasionally 4!  So really depends on what you want out of them, eggs only and I might be tempted for the warrens to be honest, but Marans are pretty to look at and of course you have the unusual egg colour .
Good luck and post some pics of what you get. :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Maisiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:52 »
thanks Rich,

Have called the farm and they dont have any marans at all now, just not updated their site!  ARGH!  anyway I have found somewhere that has a rhode island red pullet 22 weeks old for £10.  Am getting 2 hybrids anyway today for £6 ea, and might go get the rhode island....not sure cos its quite a distance to both places and cant go at the same time!!

Just that i have been told not to add one on its own and this will be the last time I add to the flock so now is my one and only chance!

Fingers crossed..........also, not sure on this but had lots of confilcting info.  Do hybrid (isa brown) live as long as pure breeds.  One farmer told me 2 years ish another said 6/7?!?!?!?! how are we supposed to know who tells the truth?!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 13:04 »
Don't know on the last point about lifespan, I have been told that hybrids have a shorter life span, but everyone has different ideas, 2 years seems really short perhaps what they meant that after 2 egg laying years they should be got rid of ! really don't know, Muntjac or someone else with more exp wil know, but probably after 2 years there not as viable as layers ?
Have fun  :D

eggs on legs

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 14:39 »
:lol:
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

eggs on legs

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 14:40 »
You've got to be careful...some breeds live for a very long time !  :roll:

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 15:22 »
forget the rhodey .stick with the warrens .get a maran cockerel at some point n x them with the warrens and u get a good layer with good meat as well  :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 15:22 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 16:56 »
Quote from: Am getting 2 hybrids anyway today for £6 ea, and might go get the rhode island....not sure cos its quite a distance to both places and cant go at the same time!!

[color=blue
How much???  I'm living in the wrong place if I wanted to sell them!  OUr lst lot of hybrids POL wer £3,75![/color]

Do hybrid (isa brown) live as long as pure breeds.  One farmer told me 2 years ish another said 6/7?!?!?!?! how are we supposed to know who tells the truth?!

Commerical farmers only keep hybrids for 18 months as after that they start to lay different shapes and colours etc,  but I have heard of some still laying at 6 or 7.  Our present ones won't last that long as they are ex battery hens and have had a stressed life.  They are 2 now and look the picture of health.

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 19:22 »
sorry answer for how long they live ............ how long is a piece of string .i have wellies now of 6 yrs old and some siblings and they died aged a lot younger :D

Maisiesmum

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 19:30 »
cheers all,

went and got the 2 extra hybrids today decided against the rhode island red.  Not going to be able to get a cockerel i dont think as my neighbours would not really appreciate the noise!!!  One day I will move to a nice little farm somewhere and will be able to have one then! (and pigs and stuff too!)

Well, I hope that they live long and lay well for a long time then!!  Or I will end up buying eggs and feeding chickens for nothing!  

With any luck will end up with 5 eggs tomorrow.......although have only had 2 from the original 3 hybrids the last two days  :?  Dont see how they could lay 3 for 3 days then slack off.  They all look really contented, and relaxed????????

BTW the new chickens are called Captain (??husbands choice) and Henrietta

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 19:49 »
It takes 24-26 hours for a hen to make an egg, plus the hens system "rests" for about 30 mins before starting again, so you get the odd day where you get an egg or two missing, so don't worry to much  :)
Hope your newbies settle in ok.

Maisiesmum

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 20:04 »
haha, they went in like they belonged already and the other three didnt argue about it either. All happily roosting together as we speak!

question
Confused Help!!!!

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 17:22
by matilda duck
xx
Confused ???

Started by hulgrin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 12:47
by hulgrin
xx
oh, now i'm really confused!

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 10:19
by Beano
xx
Confused

Started by MKD on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2016, 08:46
by Sassy

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 36 queries.