Capsicums rotting

• 4 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Capsicums rotting
« on: July 06, 2012, 18:26 »
I have 2 capsicum plants in a decent size container in the greenhouse. The have been doing fine with lots of dark green leaves and lots of flowers and fruits developing.

About 7 days ago I removed some of the lower leaves to push the energy into the fruits but I have noticed today that some of the smaller fruits about 4 out of 20 or so have started to rot on both plants. And the leaves although still green have lost their dark glossy look and are a bit lighter in colour.

Could I be overwatering them, I give them about half a litre a day after upping the amount of water from about a quater of a litre before I removed the bottom leaves. They have  been getting a regular weekly feed when i do the toms. The tub has about an inch of pea shingle in the bottom and it's filled up with compost. The tub also has drainage holes to release the exess water.

Just thinking that perhaps we are getting some rubbish weather at the moment the greenhouse is not getting that hot so perhaps the capsicums don't need that much water.

"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Re: Capsicums rotting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 18:55 »
With anything that I grow in the greenhouse in pots, I always position them in Gravel Trays or dishes. I then only water from the base so that the plants only draw up the water they require.
I don't know if that is of any use to you but it's the method I use if you are worried about over watering.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 19:05 »
That's quite a lot more water than I give my peppers. I was under the impression that they don't like a lot of water so I don't give them a lot, and they seem to be quite happy with that. Mine only get watered once a week, twice at most if it's hot and they look a bit droopy.

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 21:33 »
You are proabably overwatering. Peppers do not need water unless they are visibly wilting. They really perform. well when you stress them (hot and dry weather followed up with water when the soil is drye and leaves Are wilting slightly). Also be careful with the frequency of feeding, they really do not need much at all.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 23:16 »
Ok less watering it is then  ::)

xx
peppers or 'capsicums'

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 16:31
by Trillium
xx
When to feed Toms and Capsicums?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 15:11
by peterjf
question
Growing capsicums in Glasgow - are we being too naive? (UPDATED w/pic)

Started by jamesbrownontheroad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 08:10
by jamesbrownontheroad
xx
Rotting Hay

Started by Solitaire on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 19:08
by woodburner

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 39 queries.