bordeaux mix?

• 9 Replies

starry

bordeaux mix?
« on: July 05, 2012, 17:33 »
I mixed up to much of it how can I dispose of it safely ??
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

SG6

Re: bordeaux mix?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 20:48 »
As it is a simple compound CuSO4 - good old copper sulphate and lime it will not ( I think ) deteriorate or decompose. So could you not keep it until needed again ?

Other options, not sure.
Seems it can build up and eventually damage earthworms. As the build up is generally from spraying I would have thought that pouring what you have even through a watering can would be concentrated enough to cause possible worm damage.

Not sure about a simple dilution and down a drain (roadside one) ?
Before people jump up and down read why:-

Say this as we use copper pipes for water and what you have is basically copper in solution, I would have thought that the drainage/sewerage system would handle it. It also keeps it away from any fish/river/stream system.

I would however just keep it for the next time, which with the humid warm conditions we seem have it will be required pretty soon.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:03 »
Bordeaux mixture is now banned for amateur use in the UK as a build up of copper in the soil can be harmful to worms and if it leaches into water courses can also be harmful to fish.

As far as I know Bordeaux mixture should be used as soon as mixed it will deteriorate upon standing.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:04 »
Bordeaux mixture is now banned for amateur use in the UK as a build up of copper in the soil can be harmful to worms and if it leaches into water courses can also be harmful to fish.

As far as I know Bordeaux mixture should be used as soon as mixed it will deteriorate upon standing.

Bordeaux Mixture itself has been revoked (i.e. not banned, but its uses re-defined), but it will available until February 2013. For more, see www.rhs.org.uk or www.pesticides.gov.uk (go to Databases Home, and look at 'Garden Pesticides’) and be warned, this is a complicated issue.

From RHS website
Bordeaux Mixture will be withdrawn from sale on 28 February 2013 but any person can use and store existing stocks until 28 February 2015.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 12:15 »
Thanks for that information :)

savbo

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 14:10 »

Not sure about a simple dilution and down a drain (roadside one) ?
Before people jump up and down read why:-

Say this as we use copper pipes for water and what you have is basically copper in solution, I would have thought that the drainage/sewerage system would handle it. It also keeps it away from any fish/river/stream system.

not wanting to get into the ins and outs of bordeaux, but many roadside drains feed combined sewer overflows, so what you put down them can get washed into rivers by subsequent heavy (and in reality, not-so-heavy) rain

see here for info on environment agency's Yellow Fish scheme
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/pollution/water/120363.aspx

starry

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 16:53 »
oh well I will keep it and see how it goes as long as it doesn't explode that's fine by me, other than that I think my only option is to find somebody else who may want it ! or dilute it right down and .............. don't know  :blink: definitely cant put it down the drain as a lot of our drains feed a local pond 

crh75

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 17:18 »
A drain connected to a soak-a-way would be fine. 

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 18:18 »
If you have a piece of waste land or gravel area that does not obviously drain into a drain, pond or stream it should be OK to put it there.

Banned or not banned, why would anyone want to pump nasty copper on to their plants and soil. It is being banned to exclude it from the environment.

Farmers and their advisors have a code of practice which says they should use the alternative which has least envirinmental impact. We have the Bayer alternative so why not use it.

plot103

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 21:20 »
Does anyone know if the Bayer Garden Fruit & Vegetable Disease Control is going to escape the ban on copper fungicides from next year? As it is copper based, I had thought it would be going as well but I saw an article saying they were planning to carry on supporting it.

xx
Bordeaux mix

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 15:55
by mumofstig
xx
Bordeaux mix

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 19:06
by surbie100
xx
Bordeaux mixture

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 21:13
by Webby
xx
Which is better Bordeaux Mix or Dithane

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 12:18
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.