Old-fashioned tools - the crome.

• 4 Replies

Rob the rake

Old-fashioned tools - the crome.
« on: May 15, 2022, 23:37 »
I inherited one of these and it's very handy. It's my go-to cultivator for getting a fine tilth. Mine seems to have been fashioned by modifying a garden fork with very fine, sharp tines. Does anyone else have one?

crome.jpg
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 23:38 by Rob the rake »
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Old-fashioned tools - the crome.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 23:57 »
There was one at the back of the shed, left by the previous plot holders, when I took on this plot.  I didn't know what it was called, and I didn't use it because it was quite heavy and awkward to use IMO, compared to modern 3 pronged cultivators. Gave it away to one of the OBs....

Rob the rake

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 00:48 »
There was one at the back of the shed, left by the previous plot holders, when I took on this plot.  I didn't know what it was called, and I didn't use it because it was quite heavy and awkward to use IMO, compared to modern 3 pronged cultivators. Gave it away to one of the OBs....

Mine's not overly heavy, having been made from a particularly dainty fork head with very skinny (and very sharp) tines. In use it seems no heavier than my Wolf cultivator. The tines in the illustration are quite long, whereas on my home-made model the bent-over parts of the tines are about four inches long, which seems to be a much more sensible length.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 14:06 »
Hello it's a muck fork that's been bent for earthing up potatoes or cleaning   ditches out,agricultural engineer I've been to today makes them for the local catchment board,they have 20 foot long handles on     jezza

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 15:22 »
I have two of those, but instead of crome, we call them cultivators. One I purchased new, the other was left behind by the previous owner of our house (along with other tools as well).

I do occasionally use it for cultivating, but it comes in handy for a lot of other tasks too (great for grappling my leaf and limb recycling out of the back of my truck).

An old fashioned tool I wish I had is a froe for fine-splitting wood. The best ones are old ones, made by a blacksmith. Sometimes you see them at "flea markets" here (I don't know if that is a term over there,  they are open-air markets, often set up on semi-permanent locations, like a rummage sale or yard sale).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 17:15 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Tools

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 12:43
by grendel
xx
Tools

Started by Plot74 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 23:06
by Plot74
xx
what tools do I need?

Started by subeyman on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 19:11
by Eatyourgreens
xx
old tools

Started by griff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 19:47
by Trillium

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.