Rhubarb

• 7 Replies

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb
« on: April 29, 2013, 14:09 »
Afternoon all

I have a few rhubarb in a pot that are doing well, would I get away with moving them to the plot and planting out, might even be able to pick a few if they get bigger?

Trillium

Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 14:48 »
Anything potted can be planted at any time since no roots will be broken during the process.

As for picking any stalks, it depends how old the plant is. If it's the first year then we always recommend not picking anything so the roots can size up quickly and you can pick something the 2nd year, more the 3rd year onward.

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 15:34 »
With Rhubarb, patience will be rewarded many fold. A crown left to mature for a year (preferably two) will produce large numbers of very thick stalks forever. A crown picked in it's early years will continue to produce fewer thin stalks.

salmonking

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 16:12 »
With Rhubarb, patience will be rewarded many fold. A crown left to mature for a year (preferably two) will produce large numbers of very thick stalks forever. A crown picked in it's early years will continue to produce fewer thin stalks.

I'm interested in this as I've recently planted a new crown.  So do I just let it grow this summer and then cut back in autumn?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 20:26 by Aunt Sally »

crh75

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 16:39 »
Don't cut it back, it will die back naturally.

salmonking

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 17:30 »
Don't cut it back, it will die back naturally.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 17:45 »
Hi all,
Sort of a follow on to this topic - how have people got on with potted rhubarb?
I've got a fairly well established (though unknown variety of) rhubarb up on the plot and space for one (or just possibly two) more. I've got about 7 or 8 Victoria rhubarb that I've grown from seed - I'm planning on giving a couple away but was wondering if anyone has had success with rhubarb in containers? It seems that they'd need 40litre pots to cope with the large roots. I don't think that SWMBO would let me plant rhubarb in the garden, but I can probably get away with rhubarb in pots as we've got a bit of otherwise unused patio space...
Any success / failure stories?
Cheers,
Balders

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 19:26 »
Rhubarb will grow in containers but it makes a huge root system so if you'd like decent cropping, get as big a pot/container as you can for it and it will be very happy. You'll also need to water it more often if rain isn't forthcoming, but it will produce nicely. You'll also need to give it an annual feed of some manure and bonemeal to keep it happy. Small price for good crops.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 12:07
by DD.
xx
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 20:04
by greenjay
xx
Rhubarb,what next

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:36
by pod

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 29 queries.