Oh rhubarb!!

• 2 Replies

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
Oh rhubarb!!
« on: January 10, 2013, 18:13 »
Now I know I'm probably getting a bit ahead here...... But how do you know when to pick ur rhubarb? ???

I've never grown it before and I don't eat it but inherited a long strip with my plot. Some of them are about 15cm already and a couple are slightly bigger as I put buckets over to force.

To me rhubarbs used to be ready when my gran said so and then she would turn up a couple days later with a freezer bag or 2 already chopped and ready to pop in the freezer or cook.  8)

I was surprised to see they had grown though ( with no real help from me) so much, isn't it a bit early? ???

I may have to change my name to rhubarb lady soon as it looks like there will be a lot of it to go around!

JohnB47

Re: Oh rhubarb!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 22:25 »
I'm surprised that mine are starting to show already but they're only half the height of yours. There's a while yet to go and we may have a cold snap that will stall them.

I think  they are ready to pick when the stalks are at least 10 inches long but really, if you have loads, pick as soon as you want. I've read that you should not over pick any one plant and if you force a plant, pick the early stalks but then uncover and leave the plant to grow normally for the rest of the season without picking any more.

I find it more difficult to decide when to stop picking.

syks grower

Re: Oh rhubarb!!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:37 »
If you have lots of plants you can pick sum as soon as it is useable.
I  only take a few sticks per plant , no more than quarter what is available
The ones you have put buckets over use first and then let them recover by not picking any stalks.
I would give the plants a feed of blood fish and a top dress  well rotted manure or compost, I use the contents of used grow bags.
The books say not to pick after July but if you only take a few sticks per crown / clump i find you can pick up to september. It all depends on the grwing season if the plants have lots of stalks pick a few. If they haven't or a thin and spindly DONT PICK.
I would not force the same plants next year let them recover.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 12:07
by DD.
xx
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 20:04
by greenjay
xx
Rhubarb,what next

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:36
by pod

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 35 queries.