Any different ideas anyone?

• 28 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Any different ideas anyone?
« on: January 05, 2020, 14:18 »
I have decided that this year will be the first year (for many a decade) I am not (yes NOT) going to grow peppers/ chillies! :ohmy:
So I have a spare greenhouse to grow something completely different! There is no beds in it as I grow the peppers/ chillies in pots.
I can grow in either pots or grow bags.
So has anyone got any ideas for something a bit different that tastes good and produces enough to make it worth while in the greenhouse?
The other two greenhouses have the tommies and cukes in.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ches

• Experienced Member
Re: Any different ideas anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 14:40 »
What about some melons? We had success in our tunnel with them last year.
Ches

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 15:24 »
chrysanths are always a good challenge with good rewards, can be pot grown.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 16:31 »
Not sure that chrysanthemums will taste good. An old page from Hampton Court Palace suggests what my first thought was - sweet potatoes. It also suggests oca and a few other wonders. Aubergines?

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 17:06 »
Oh, boy. This will be my second year growing, and I'm almost the opposite to you, as I've been seduced by the Chili bug, so this year is mostly about one half of my greenhouse being taken up with peppers... in pots, like you. The other side is beds and, like you, they are set for tomatoes and cucumbers (half to be gerkins).

Ches mentioned melons. Have you considered cucamelons? I tried them last year and, even though I generally started my interest in growing a few months too late, the cucamelons still managed to yield masses that I picked for lunch snacks every day for a good few months from only two plants in one bed, but you could use grow bags, maybe? I cleaned my beds out over the holidays, and their roots were very shallow. Like cucumbers, I assume.

This year I want to try growing black pepper in big pots with custom trelaces. From my research it might be two years before any yield, and I'll have to move them indoors during the winter, but it seemed like a fun challenge. Maybe do peppers, but in a whole new way? They yealds seem to be very good, once/if you get there.

Maybe get some long containers and double dip salad greens that don't easily bolt for early crops to snip and come again, and then re-use the space later for late summer/early autumn fast crops? I had great sucssess doing this with asian salads for stir-fries.

Bush beans that love the heat in pots or containers? I had moderate yields, but as I said, started way too late. I did mung, adzuki and kidney beans in the greenhouse just to make use of the remaining space. Planted some outside as well for the experimentation. Much bigger and fatter yields from the greenhouse, here in the UK. I'm just going for mung beans this year. More plants and hopefully a much greater yield for later sprouting and stir-fires.

Maybe fruit trees, if you are inclined? My dad has great sport with citrus and kiwi, although it did take a few years.

Regards

P.S. Why no chillies?  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 19:53 »
I grew tomatillos one year and they were hugely productive.  They are big plants but do OK in a builders bucket with a few holes drilled in the base.  They are quite zesty and crunchy and have an almost citrus zing to them.  They make a very good salsa. 

Are you just awash with preserved chillies?  I tend to do alternate years of growing them so this year is a year off.  I have 2 bags of frozen ones, 2 big jars of dried ones and some pickled ones - enough I say  :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 20:08 »
A year without chillies... the horror!
I have grown a pumpkin plant in the tunnel to see how much bigger I can get one to grow with the extra heat, but I'm not sure that would work with your container setup.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 21:24 »
I have tons of chillies New Shoot! Three draws in yhe freezer, several bags of dried and six jars of powder.

I just thought I will try something different this year.
I have looked at the tomatillos, most on site that have grown melons on the whole are not good so dont want to try those if we have a poor summer.
Keep them coming please I am sure something new and exciting will pop up.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 22:02 »
How about Cape gooseberries, they're pretty prolific and easy to grow?

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 00:40 »
Wait, I got it. What about Kudzu? You can eat the roots, and it would be fun to post daily pictures! No?  :unsure:

Okay, seriously, why not try a bunch of things that are fast growing and you can do in pots or containers like radish, Mitzuna, spicy mustard... snap peas in grow bags... maybe think what can you cook up to use with your peppers? The answer may lie in a recipe or three. Do a search using combinations you like. I wouldn't have gotten started with growing my own if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't get decent regular pak choi. Maybe the answer can be found in you eating/cooking habits?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 11:22 »
Wait, I got it. What about Kudzu? You can eat the roots, and it would be fun to post daily pictures! No?  :unsure:

Okay, seriously, why not try a bunch of things that are fast growing and you can do in pots or containers like radish, Mitzuna, spicy mustard... snap peas in grow bags... maybe think what can you cook up to use with your peppers? The answer may lie in a recipe or three. Do a search using combinations you like. I wouldn't have gotten started with growing my own if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't get decent regular pak choi. Maybe the answer can be found in you eating/cooking habits?

Hahahha dont think you realize how many chillies I grow, and some incredibly hot ones, one needs to give the waste system a rest every so often  ;)
I even use them to make a chillie rub for my arthritus so I do go through a lot.

So far we (daughter and I) have decided on Tamotillos ( pineapple version) and cape goosegogs. still looking tho.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 11:37 »
If you want aubergines I would recommend Kaberi as a small fruited type and Czech Early for bigger aubergines.  They really do perform and you get loads.

I've always fancied growing okra but never had the room.  I admit this is mostly fuelled by a love of bhindi bhaji  :lol:  Real seeds do a funky red one they reckon is OK for the UK climate.

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/okra.html

I tend to believe them when they recommend things, as they do grow all of it themselves  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:38 by New shoot »

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 12:39 »
I grow sweet corn, climbing French beans and carrots in mine and they always do well because we get too much wind here so the corn pollen blows away. All I do is give the stalks a daily tap to release the pollen from the silks onto the corn bit and I get almost 100% pollination. The beans don't get blown over and the  carrots do far better there than outside as the carrot fly doesn't know where they are.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 12:43 »
How about Ginger or Peanuts? I have germinated a piece of ginger from a supermarket and its now into its third season. I have also managed to germinate Peanuts bought in their shells for eating. I planted them over the allotment and they did not really do anything but they did survive the season, You might not get much of a harvest but might win "Best in Show"!

jambop

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 18:26 »
Not sure that chrysanthemums will taste good. An old page from Hampton Court Palace suggests what my first thought was - sweet potatoes. It also suggests oca and a few other wonders. Aubergines?
Actually the Chinese use dried chrysanthemums in many of their dishes ... and they taste great :D

xx
Any ideas?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 15:59
by Trillium
xx
Ideas Please

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 12:21
by Tom Hill
xx
any ideas please??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:36
by whiskywill
xx
Some Ideas Please!

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 13:58
by teabreak

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 54 queries.