Cabbage White

• 21 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Cabbage White
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59 »
We covered our little patch with a net to keep birds and the destructive dog off, but with larger holes to make sure the insects can get in. Other than not keeping butterflies out, it works a treat and my worry about birds getting tangled seems unfounded. The sparrows can get in and out through a small opening by the fence, they are quite bright. There have been no problems with all the baby birds we have had.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 18:50 »
I think the black would look better in the garden though :unsure:, it looks quite unobtrusive in the pics on the link :)

I always worry that birds will fly into black netting.

Mr Sunny walked into it on the plot next door (which is run by Age Concern so we have permission to go in  :lol:) when he went to tie up some raspberries for them  ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

treasure101

• amber
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 22:51 »
Due to work I was unable to get to my plot for a week, and my cabbages have been destroyed, by the little blighters.  I made the novice mistake of just laying the mesh over them, I won't be doing that again. I have sprayed everything else with a weak solution of washing up liquid.  As with others on here I only noticed them about in the last couple of weeks.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 19:11 »

Hi
I put netting all over my brassicas,but this didnt stop cabbage whites getting in.In the end i took it off as i could not get to the plants to check for eggs.
During august cabbage whites were everywhere,i thought my brassicas would be decimated with caterpillars.Touch wood and i dont know why ive hardly found any
caterpillars,and they have not done much damage yet!
There has been loads of ladybirds and their larvae,as well as hoverflies and wasps
so i wonder if these have kept caterpillar numbers down?

Carl

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 19:33 »
This year I tried surrounding all the brassicas with climbing nasturtiums growing up the fence around the veggie bed. Fingers crossed, I haven't found a single caterpillar or sign of caterpillar damage on any of those brassicas. I also had some small brassica plants in pots in my coldframe, at the other end of the garden, and those have been devastated by cabbage white caterpillars. Maybe it's coincidence, but until proved otherwise I'll carry on planting nasturtiums around my brassicas :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 19:41 »
Large and small whites both like nasturtiums as food for their larvae, so they would not actually act as a repellent.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 20:55 »
Large and small whites both like nasturtiums as food for their larvae, so they would not actually act as a repellent.

No, they're not supposed to act as a repellent, they're sacrificial plants. The idea is the cabbage whites love them so much they only lay eggs on them and don't even notice your brassicas :)

xx
white cabbage

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2021, 19:47
by New shoot
xx
Cabbage White! Pah!

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 11:25
by nannytroll
xx
cabbage white fly

Started by bert on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 00:36
by bert
xx
Cabbage white

Started by Ferreter8 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2020, 21:11
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.