Just starting out

• 5 Replies

dazza

Just starting out
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:49 »
Hi,

I am about to start out on my new allotment !!

Will post piccys when i see it tomorrow.

However something is bothering me, and its that i will start out all very keen and will start my seeds off next year plant them out only to be attacked by bugs, slugs and birds..

So battle planning now - what do i do ?  :?

darren

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Just starting out
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:57 »
Firstly, decide if you want to be organic or not ...

Then decide what you want to grow and what pests they are prone to.
Get in some good netting for your brassicas to protect against cabbage white, slug pellets if you are using them,fleece for the carrot fly (dont believe that planting them higher will save you, it wont!), and ask about at the site to see of there is club root known on your plot, or any other nasties. Get some info to see if theres rats, foxes, moles etc and protect against those. Netting against birds will be a good idea too.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

dazza

Just starting out
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:01 »
Thanks whats the best netting and fleeces to use ??

I do know one of the guys on the field is a has his own pest control business, he looks after all of the council fields but ours gets a good dose to keep the rats away !

darren

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Just starting out
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08 »
depends on what money youve got to spend! (doesnt it always?!)

Enviromesh is widely thought to be the best fleece, but is very dear. You can get fleece from the pound shop but it isnt much cop Ive heard..there are many more available in between. Someone else will let you know whats the best as I dont fleece at the plot (I grow my carrots at home in tubs)
Debris/ scaffolding netting is used a lot, and is recommended by a lot of people on here, Im going to get myself some next year. Can be bought cheaply from ebay, but there also some good links on the design and construction forum

compostqueen

Just starting out
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:53 »
If you grow your own be prepared for losses. It's not an exact science and pests can decimate things. If you're easily discouraged don't bother  :lol:

I get lots of moles and they undermine my seedlings, leaving them high and dry til they shrivel up and die if I don't keep my eye on them. They undermine my onions and garlic, dragging them under the ground and bringing them back up all over the place then the birds were hoiking them out right, left and centre as they'd been brought to the surface by moley. I don't kill moles though cos I'm a softie.  I don't rotovate so hence I have loads of worms and moley like worms so it's my own fault, but being kinda organic I put up with it. I have a wild bunny too which eats its fair share but as long as it leave some for me I don't get stressed  :D  I got loads of mice in my shed last year nicking my spuds and borlotti beans but they were those lovely field mice with the big ears  :lol:  So I emptied my shed of food to remove the problem  :D   Get some Enviromesh rather than fleece which blows away and rips very easily. Pigeons make short work of it. I don't like netting as birds get fast in it if it's not kept taught. Hope I'm not putting you off  :lol:

dazza

Just starting out
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 13:02 »
Thanks for the pointers - as long as i know now some will be lost to nature thats cool- i don't want to spray loads of chemicals - i could get veg thats been treated at the supermarket.

I just want good quality tasty veg - so any thing that can be done to protect me crops the better!

Darren

xx
Starting out!!!

Started by Claypit on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 17:28
by Claypit
xx
Starting Out-Help!

Started by Mand312 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:47
by GYO Girl
xx
Starting up

Started by Digger on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 10:47
by John
xx
starting out...

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 15:43
by Christine

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 34 queries.