Grey leafed flower...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Grey leafed flower...
« on: May 31, 2016, 18:27 »
Can anyone help Mrs Growster on identifying these flowers please?

Younger daught gave her the seed last year, and they grew to about 6" tall, but with no blooms and this year they're up to 18" - 2' with what looks like a flower head forming.

YD has no idea where the seeds came from, and can't remember the name either, which isn't a lot of help... (but we love her of course)!

They're quite prolific, and seem pretty sturdy too!
Grey leafed flower....jpg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 18:31 by Growster... »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Grey leafed flower...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 19:08 »
Lychnis coronaria (Rose Campion)

They are a biennial (like foxgloves) and are an excellent plant imho. Love them!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 20:57 »
Have had these growing for a few years now having been given some seeds by my next door neighbour. Very hardy, beautiful foliage and intensely pink flowers.

Thanks for the correct Latin name - I've been calling them 'Brian's pink thing' for a while - Lychnis coronaria (Rose Campion) sounds much more professional, even though my neighbour is actually called Brian, and also likes playing with words and names (not the right forum to mention what he and his wife commonly call our local Chinese takeaway, actual name 'Canton Wok'  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 21:11 »
I love lychnis as well, I have always had the pink flowers and this year I treated myself to a white one, I have planted them close together so I hope the mix will look good.  Lucky you.  regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:25 »
Lychnis coronaria (Rose Campion)

They are a biennial (like foxgloves) and are an excellent plant imho. Love them!

Thank you so much, Mrs Bouquet!

We seem to have several lots all around the garden, and can't wait to see the flowers out!

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:28 »
Have had these growing for a few years now having been given some seeds by my next door neighbour. Very hardy, beautiful foliage and intensely pink flowers.

Thanks for the correct Latin name - I've been calling them 'Brian's pink thing' for a while - Lychnis coronaria (Rose Campion) sounds much more professional, even though my neighbour is actually called Brian, and also likes playing with words and names (not the right forum to mention what he and his wife commonly call our local Chinese takeaway, actual name 'Canton Wok'  ::))

Ha ha ha, Jay!

That could be another post, but on the other hand - er - nope, eh..;0)

Or maybe...

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:35 »
They are perennial, I have one on my raspberry bed that I feel isn't doing any harm and adds a bit of colour. It has been there for at least four years. They are generally treated as a biennial though.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:06 »
They are perennial, I have one on my raspberry bed that I feel isn't doing any harm and adds a bit of colour. It has been there for at least four years. They are generally treated as a biennial though.

When grown as a perennial the bottom of the plant often turns very brown and unattractive in my experience. Maybe it is just me. They are so prolific it hardly seems worth worrying about really.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:21 »
Hard to tell whether my patch of plants are the originals or have self seeded themselves which they do very readily, including in the expansion gaps in the concrete drive and the joints between paving slabs up to 5 yards away!  :ohmy:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 10:25 »
I'm not entirely sure that some of them are two years old already, we sowed so many of them, and some are much bigger than the others!

Mrs Growster would like to thank everybody here for your help, and will have a tincture at lunchtime to celebrate, as it's too cold!

xx
Michalmas Daisys - Grey/white mould ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2021, 11:30
by New shoot
xx
flower id

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 00:26
by sclarke624
xx
I WANT this flower !

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 08:37
by New shoot
clip
ID this flower please

Started by bobbyt on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2023, 18:27
by New shoot

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.