orgrow

• 23 Replies

sizer247

orgrow
« on: January 24, 2012, 22:06 »
where my allotment is there is no vehicle access so manuring the plot means alot of barrowing load after load up hill which getting more difficult as the years go by , now ive seen in my browns cataloge a product called orgrow which is a cocentrated manure totally organic an all that is needed is a handfull per square yard which would be a god send for me so has anyone used orgrow and wot did ya think was it ok an did you get good results thanks

m1ckz

Re: orgrow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13 »
never used that, but sounds the same as chicken manure pellets,,others will reply soon

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:17 »
Here's the link, it's "Orgro" not quite as posted. Not chicken manure pellets, but concentrated "natural" manure.

Costs an arm & a leg!

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/68135/orgro-concentrated-manure
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:27 »
where my allotment is there is no vehicle access so manuring the plot means alot of barrowing load after load up hill which getting more difficult as the years go by , now ive seen in my browns cataloge a product called orgrow which is a cocentrated manure totally organic an all that is needed is a handfull per square yard which would be a god send for me so has anyone used orgrow and wot did ya think was it ok an did you get good results thanks
i have manured for the last 3 years barrowing and the like and its hard work.ive thought about going down this route with the orgrow and just putting a light spinkle into each planting hole.it cost me 30 quid for manure so at 13 quid it sounds a better deal allround for me if it achieves the results and less work!! :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43 »
I'd take the 200 sq yards bit with a pinch of salt. (Not literally).

It claims to be 6 times more concentrated, but I think most of us would put down more than 6 handfuls of ordinary manure per sq yard.

Put another way, would 6 bags of ordinary manure of the size indicated cover quite a large plot? You may have paid £30, but I bet you got more than 6 bags of manure.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:45 by DD. »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:01 »
Agree with Dave - the nutrients may be concentrated but the bulky organic material won't be, yet that's one of the main advantages of adding compost or manure to your soil.

It appears to originate from the US, and is partially derived from sewage sludge - I don't know whether the DT Brown version is different but this is a description and analysis of the US version which appears to be very low in the familiar "NPK" nutrients.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59 »
I did note that it said "natural" and not "farmyard" manure.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08 »
Also says it includes "Exceptional Quality biosolids" - do you think that means it's collected from the White House rather than the, er, oops?!  8)  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 15:06 »
The 'Or' part of the name comes from 'ordure'............
deffinition here   http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ordure

(for anyone who hasn't seen this old word before  ::) )

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 16:42 »
A local farmer puts manure from human waste on the fields so we all may have eaten something grown in it at some point.  Mind you, it is the stinkyest nastiest most pungently odoured material known to man.  He regularly gets fined because of the nuisance it causes. ::) 
Cheese makes everything better.

allot2learn

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 17:28 »
Thames water have been supplying human waste for farmers to spread on the fields for 25 years that I know of. I used to be grain store manager of a very large estate just outside Reading and and It was being used when I was there.

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 17:40 »
A local farmer puts manure from human waste on the fields so we all may have eaten something grown in it at some point.  Mind you, it is the stinkyest nastiest most pungently odoured material known to man.  He regularly gets fined because of the nuisance it causes. ::) 

Know the feeling, the local council here tried to 'do' a farmer mate when it was the neighbouring farmer that was causing the stink spreading the 'Agrivert' stuff.

http://www.agrivert.co.uk/

sizer247

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 10:42 »
thanks for your input guys i think il carry on wiyh the barrow at least i know wot im getting an wot the veg is growing in ,its hard enough getting the kids to eat there green if they thought i was puttin sewage on the plot that would give them a great excuse not to eat up !

gobs

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50 »
Leaves might be much easier to carry and could provide bulk to some rather cheap chicken pellets. That might be a way to go. Leaf mulch/compost.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Goldfinger

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 13:28 »

What about that '6X' stuff?? Plotters say you don't need to use much, and one bag goes a long way...

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 35 queries.