Tomatoes

• 12 Replies

colinc

Tomatoes
« on: August 17, 2011, 19:55 »
I have had great sucess with my cherry and plum tomatoes both in the green house and in the garden. Now I have so many toms what can I do with them, as I cant eat them quick enough.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 20:15 »
They can be cooked down into a puree which freezes very well, and with other ingredients added (to suit your taste) make a very good basis for sauces for all sorts of meals (especially pasta dishes in my case!) which are not only very tasty but in the depths of winter remind you of what you achieved during the year.  :)

(Perhaps a bit of a waste of the cherry tomatoes which a lot of people eat like sweets!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 20:19 »
I prefer plum tomatoes for sauces, etc as they're not so juicy, which is why Italians prefer them for sauces.

If you have a glut of cherry toms, they can be sauced as well, though you'll want to boil them a while to evaporate some of the excess water. And you'll have a nice sweet sauce.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 22:49 »
You can make DIY 'sundried' tomatoes in a very low oven. Often done with plum toms but cherry toms make lovely snack sized ones.

bappelbe

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25 »
I freeze tomatoes whole, just wash them and pop them in the freezer.
It is easy to add a few of them to a dish during the winter.

Also I have recipes that use lots of tomatoes, Jamie Olivers book Jamie At Home has a few.

You could also give some to the neighbours  :)

Bill

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27 »

lucky you Colin, i have had ONE tomato so far this year  :unsure: lots of green ones, they're just taking ages to go red  :mad:

Debz

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:29 »
I'm jealous too.  I use a lot of the chery ones in a tomato and bacon quiche.  This year I have had 6 tomatoes in total so far.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:07 »
I am making a pan of roasted red pepper and tomato soup every other day at the mo. I did the oven dried last year with great success, used them in fresh olive and tom bread, scrummy.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ferreter51

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 13:23 »
I've just returned from a few weeks away to find my greenhouse groaning with tomatoes (My son watered and picked them during my absence).  It's home-made tomato soup, which can be frozen, for the surplus here and green tomato relish for any remaining unripe ones.  Try it and you'll never buy  tinned stuff again.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 19:44 »
It's years like this that make me really, really wish I had a proper greenhouse. My local forecast is predicting 9 degrees tonight, in August  :ohmy:

I won't be picking any peppers from my outdoor plants this year, and I don't think I'll be getting anything from the tomatoes out in beds either, only the cherry toms in baskets and maybe a few from the pot grown plants on the patio. Even the squash and courgettes have gone on strike.

Anybody tried one of those Quictent polytunnels? I've been coveting one all summer, it's a bargain price for a very big growing space.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 20:12 »
I have one green tomato so far, hoping that it will at least turn red by the end of the season - even if nothing else comes of any of the plants!  But with overnight temps in single figures fairly regularly at present, I'm not holding out a lot of hope!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hamstergbert

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 20:16 »
.....Anybody tried one of those Quictent polytunnels? ......

Their website is hilarious - clearly wroten by  persons for what he English are do being foreign language.  Even they him feller customer comments from name seem allsame English in same Engrish as she are spooken.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 22:22 »
.....Anybody tried one of those Quictent polytunnels? ......

Their website is hilarious - clearly wroten by  persons for what he English are do being foreign language.  Even they him feller customer comments from name seem allsame English in same Engrish as she are spooken.

Yes, that made me laugh too. Doesn't make for very convincing testimonials, does it.

xx
Too many tomatoes?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 13:02
by DoubleDigger
xx
Tomatoes

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2018, 17:21
by Auntiemogs
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Jae Dawn on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 15:20
by sclarke624
xx
tomatoes

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 18:18
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 39 queries.