How are your chillies doing?

• 45 Replies

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: How are your chillies doing?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 14:38 »
The chillies and peppers I planted in April are now doing well and starting to flower.  Unfortunately, I got them mixed up and they look very similar, so I won't know which is which until they start fruiting!    :lol:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 14:44 »
 :lol: I did the same thing last month - thought I'd rearrange them and got them all mixed up. Just have to wait n see   :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 22:02 »
I used some free seeds from GYO magazine and they were  mixed seeds of differeint varieties.  At the moment I have 7 good plants with one that has chilli's on it.

The thing I'd like to know is when do you pick them? The chilli that is about 7 cm long and is green (looks yummy).  This is my first chilli  :D exciting.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 20:38 »
Just picked my 1st chilli at about 10cm long. Decided to bite a bit off to test the heat.  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Woooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yep its a chilli!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 21:40 »
Quick Q for all you chilli experts. Kermit mentioned "only water when drooping".

Mine are in a tunnel and look pretty good with lots of flowers and the occasional chilli starting to pop out. Does that mean I don't need to water them every day and is that the same for sweet peppers?  :unsure:

chrisjsmith

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2010, 22:15 »
Just picked my 1st chilli at about 10cm long. Decided to bite a bit off to test the heat.  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Woooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yep its a chilli!

I did that today - turns out they are cayenne peppers.  My mouth is still sore!

chrisjsmith

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2010, 22:16 »
Quick Q for all you chilli experts. Kermit mentioned "only water when drooping".

Mine are in a tunnel and look pretty good with lots of flowers and the occasional chilli starting to pop out. Does that mean I don't need to water them every day and is that the same for sweet peppers?  :unsure:

I, on advice of people here, have watered both my sweet peppers and hot ones when they are drooping - they are doing very well (see above).

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2010, 23:23 »
Aelf, I'm the same as you, lots of good foliage but no flowers, unless they have flowered and I missed it.  I have green bell peppers, cayenne and some other kind I'm not sure which as the markers name has washed off with watering. I think my greenhouse may be too hot, so will pot up the plants, give them a feed and perhaps bring them outside for the daytime.

General question for anyone who might know - Does feeding chillis liquid fertiliser just encourage them to put on too much lush growth and not flower?

Lardman

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2010, 23:28 »
General question for anyone who might know - Does feeding chillis liquid fertiliser just encourage them to put on too much lush growth and not flower?

Rule of thumb - feed only when fruit have set. You can apply this to most things  :D

chrisjsmith

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 14:03 »
Some photos:

Cayenne:

Sweet peppers - I ate one yesterday which was about 5 inches long hence the missing bit:

Random peppers - unidentified:

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 14:10 »

If the fruit are forming, I would only water when drooping, especially if you want hot peppers.  Apparently they dont go hot if you water frequently.  Either way, I've found they throw out more flowers if not over watered. 

B_and_D

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 20:31 »
If the fruit are forming, I would only water when drooping, especially if you want hot peppers.  Apparently they dont go hot if you water frequently.  Either way, I've found they throw out more flowers if not over watered. 

Part agree - I think you missed a word...they don't go AS hot if you water frequently.  Have just harvested a stack of cayennes (which have been watered almost daily) and they nearly blew my head off - then again I am a bit of a chilli wuss  :lol:

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 20:44 »
Mine are going great guns, 7 Pretty in Purple plants, 90 plump purple chillies ready for picking (they freeze well), and about 50 more coming up to picking size.  Hot at purple stage, inferno when they turn red.

These are my favourites, only grow to about 12-18" above pot level, are very picturesque thereby suitable as a windowsill plant.

First got a couple of dozen seeds from Gobs on this forum about 3 years ago (thank you).

If I can't use them all, and a few go wrinkly I should have seed to spare to swap for 2011 - best sown New Year time, and if that is a disappointing sowing, mid-Feb is the latest I've done a successful plant.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 13:07 »
After no real sign of flowers, suddenly my plants seem to have had a change of heart and are now covered in little flower buds  :) I tried counting them and gave up at 70  :)

diggerjoe

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 14:07 »
First chillis showing on office plants now the heat is on :D :D :D MD is in second place now. Just wish mine at home were as good mine in the office is rubbish and I'm the one who is supposeed to know what I'm doing :D

xx
Chillies

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 14:32
by penance
xx
chillies

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:35
by siandc
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk
xx
Chillies

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:52
by Chiswickian

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 33 queries.