• 26 Replies

Oliver

Welcome!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 16:52 »
Quote from: "Ian_P"
Keys! Such luxury.

Welcome TP. Plotholding is terrific fun - My human hates winter because she has to sit with her nose pressed to the windowpane longing to get out there. They have had their plot for 35 years and still know very little! Except its very rewarding and they spend every minute they can on the plot. Keep us posted how you get on. If you have time, some pictures will be nice!
I wish we had a fence around our plots - but we have footpaths through the plots and the Council has never prevented people from walking through them so they have become a right of way. In the school holidays kids treat the plots like playgrounds. Sigh ...
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

noshed

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 22:58 »
I must say that bindweed is a real pain - I seem to be rooting out loads of it - I hope before it gets too big. I even caught one bit merrily growing up my bean arch! It isn't now.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 00:35 »
Hi everyone,

I have only had my plot for about 5 weeks and it hadnt been tended for about two years.  I have cleared it and planted a lot of it and it seems to be growing quite well especially the weeds! I have learned a lot in the last few weeks (and have a lot more to learn)! I only discovered this site tonight and have learned a lot more now so thought I should join so hopefully you can all help me and maybe sometime I can help some of you. Can anyone tell me how I can identify the weeds that I cleared and are now growing again? Is there a web site of pictures of weeds?

Also I planted some runner bean seeds a couple of weeks ago (nothing yet) but planted some broad beans last Sunday and they are through. Is this normal or are my runners a non starter.

Thanks for any help anyone can give - now or in future.

thunderflorrie

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:13 »
Wow I'm so impressed with you all, Lots of new info there for me to try.

The site is on a busy main rd and has a river on three sides hence the fence. I don't think there is a major problem with yobs but they did have a go at the gate last week, tried to lift it off, they failed though which was good. the local footie ground is only round the corner, although I'm not casting any aspertions on the good football fans of Chesham.

I went to have a looksee on Wednesday and nothing had changed much, but as one of my horses has had colic I haven't been down again. I plan to take manure from the three yr old heap at the farm in the winter and spread a good thick layer then slowly dig it in.
As for weeds well I feel like giving up just looking at them :D Some of them are enormouse and virilent as well. I shall enjoy getting stuck into them hopefully this week coming. I have been looking on ebay and a scythe is comming up in about 3 days so will have a go at that. I think thats enough from me again I will try to get back to sleep. good night.
Kind regards Thunderflorrie

Oliver

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 12:27 »
Quote from: "growmore"
Can anyone tell me how I can identify the weeds that I cleared and are now growing again? Is there a web site of pictures of weeds?

Supersprout found these two sites for weeds:
http://theseedsite.co.uk/weeds.html
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/weeds.htm
 and I found this one:
http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/whiskycomp.aspx?sec=1036&con=1040&fn=fullbroad
Of course, you may have read these posts anyway - but just in case!
How is your plot coming along?

jingerpot

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 16:40 »
Hi Thunderflorrie.

I didn't see your post till after I wrote mine, Welcome to you.

I took my 'Lottie on when I retired as I have always liked gardening but as Nitiram says its a whole new ball game ... but sooo adictive as you have found out already by the sounds of it !  ( this is my first attempt at veggies though)

Have a look at Ta da da da - da da  One year ago this week I faced a similar site but had a patch of brambles the width of the plot and around 15 feet deep to clear as well and my OH blanches at the word garden.

Good on yer girl the rewards will be many

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
New Plots
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 17:05 »
Don't be afraid of weeds - worry about their seeds.  If any of the weeds on your plots are flowering cut them off before they seed.

I started my plot in September last year.  Three feet high with weeds.  The first thing I did was cut down the top to stop the flowering and going to seed.  Them a good application of weed killer (Tumble weed can be highly recommended).  As the tops died back I hired a path weed burner and turned it all into ash - which cleared the plot quickly and added some goodness back.

Over the winter months - weather permitting I dug and weeded the site.

In March it was completely clear and I was able to start planting.  Everyone on the alloments can't beleive the plot now - filled with Potatoes, Carrots, Broad Beans, Runner Beans, French Beans, Parsnips, Peas (see my thread on those), Leeks, Courgette, Sweetcorn, Lettuce, Radish, Swede, Tomatoes, Spring Onion, Capsicum, Chilli Peppers and Cucumbers.  Then there are Cauliflower, Brussels and Winter Greens nearly ready to be planted out from the coldframe.

Welcome on board - This is the best hobby out and definately the best web site on the net.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

growmore

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 00:27 »
Thanks for the weed advice Oliver I'll check out those sites.

The plot is coming along well - I think for a newcomer. My runners have come through at last and have gone mad so obviously just takes a bit longer than broad beans.

Now got 22 different types of veg growing and nearly ready to harvest some lettuce and radishes. Getting very excited about trying the first of my own produce!  :lol: Have had some rhubarb already but that doesn't count as it was growing under all the weeds.

Best

growmore

Oliver

Runner beans
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 09:29 »
My runners have come through at last and have gone mad so obviously just takes a bit longer than broad beans.

Beans germinate very quickly if the soil is warm - she put some beans in a seed tray 2 weeks ago hoping they would be just popping out for the kids to see (she had 60 kids visit her allotment on friday) but unfortunately they had all hatched after a week and were an inch tall already. So she put some more in and one week later two were above the soil and the rest were beginning to push up, so she had the seeds hatching in one tray and (by now) 6in high plants looking for poles in the other. (She also put a bean snandwiched between moist kitchen towels so the kids could see what a been root looked like.)
Incidentally, the kitchen towel method is a good way of starting off quite a few of the harder seeds (like beans and sweetcorn) - you can see which ones are not going to hatch, or rot. Saves you digging around on the plot looking for action! Don't forget to keep the towel moist, though! Try this next year.
She sows beans in succession so they don't all crop at once. Apparently they need 12 hours of light so there comes a point when you stop sowing else you won' get any fruit on the later ones.

Oliver

22 types of veg!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 09:30 »
Now got 22 different types of veg growing

Can we have a list of what you are growing? Just cruious! Oliver

growmore

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 23:09 »
Hi Oliver,

Ok here goes my list; Potatoes (Cara), Beetroot, Celeriac, Tomatoes (Alicante and Money maker), Courgettes, Sweetcorn, Runner Beans, Broad Beans, mini Capsicum, Lettuce, Radishes, Spring Onions,Purple Sprouting Broccolli, Cabbage, Swede, Turnip, Butternut Squash, Cauliflower, Leeks, Onion, Peas and carrots. Oh and a few flowers to attract the ladybirds and hoverflies.

Had my first fresh veg tonight lettuce and radishes (well I had a lot more but that was the only stuff I grew myself and I can honestly say they were the best radishes that I have ever tasted and the lettuce was lovely too.

Oliver

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 23:46 »
Growing

Thank you very much! I would love to hear how they all do. I'll get her to say what she is growing (I have seen lots of salad stuffs, plenty of flowers and LOTS of squashes/pumpkins).

xx

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2006, 22:05
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Experienced member!

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 16:37
by arugula
xx
Another member saying hello from Doncaster

Started by christopher b on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:39
by shokkyy
xx
Member's Diaries

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 12:46
by peapod

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 34 queries.