Having small panic - have I done the right thing?!

• 12 Replies

Kabby

« on: March 18, 2007, 09:56 »
Just joined and but been looking for some time at the forums and picking up lots of advice but having actually acted on some of it now worried I might not have done the right thing!!

The lottie I have hasn't been cultivated for years....there is a gr8 guy on my lottie with the best plot on it (he's had it for 40 years - I'm aspiring!) who tells me it hasn't been touched for at least 6 - it was one big expanse of very lumpy grass.  We strimmed it all back and then I started to lift the turf, its mostly dried grass now - however aforementioned gentleman and posts on here said I just needed to trench dig it in - its not couch - given this much easier option I started yesterday....now worried if this was ok.  I'd rather not use roundup but should I have?

If above is ok next question is what next....its heavy, flinty soil...do I hire rotavator, lots of manure and I think muntjac said sharp sand and rotavate? Or should I just dig over in winter and hope that anything I plant manages to grow this year?!

I'd really appreciate some sage guidance....the sun is shining and lottie calling!
I'd like to think I knew what I was doing....but generally I don't!!!

WG.

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 10:30 »
If you rotovate after trench digging, then you'll bring most of the grass back up to the surface.  Also, seems like you wouldn't need to add sand on flinty soil (dunno for sure since I've never seen flinty soil).

I'd suggest you carry on trench digging but - if you can get it - incorporate plenty of manure at the same time.   Except in one area where you can grow your parsnip and carrots.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:02 »
as above . when your a third the way through go back with a 3 pronged hoe or fork . do not dig the tools in deep jjust attack the surface.and break down the sods and then duck walk .then rake level and fine .this part will be ready for planting /when your trench digging put the grass head right at the bottom of the trench  leaving fresh  soil on the top  add manure as WG  advises and then when you on the second bit you can actualy just knock that down with the three pronged hoe or fork yo can get your spuds in this bit if your planting any this year or continue sowing your roots or anything else .remember if you are planting roots do not manure .you can use a base fertiliser like growmore if your not into organic completly
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:15 »
Thanks MJ - I like it when you call me a wassock but it is nice when you agree with me too!   :lol:

Eelworm in potatoes might be a problem, Kabby, since your plot has been in grass for a while.   The organic "control" would be to grow Tagetes minuta as a companion plant but this is far from minuta - it can grow 6ft tall.

milkman

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 14:35 »
Hallo from me - if you've managed to dig the ground so it looks like soil that's just fine, and don't worry too much if you can't find a source of manure for this year -  my advice would be to concentrate on plonking things in to see what grows and how it grows - crops like potatoes are very forgiving.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Kabby

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 15:13 »
Ok...think I've got that - Muntjac....sorry to be dense but what is "duck walking"?!  Is it ok to just fork in the manure to the turned over soil?

Think WG is right about the sand....by flinty lots of small, medium stones/flints - the allotments around me are very stony but looking at mine closely today it seems to not be too bad, I'm wondering at some point whether a dim, distant owner was diligent about raking off.

If I try and grow roots on stony soil will they struggle?  I'm not going to be too adventerous as its my first lottie so was just thinking about potatoes, beans, courgettes and onions start.

Eelworm does not sound pleasant....I'd like to be as organic as possible but I caved in last year when the ninja slugs in my garden kept eating my lovingly tended salads  :evil: I shall try the Tagetes....do I grow between or alongside the tatties WG?

Thx so much for all the help

WG.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 15:52 »
Quote from: "Kabby"
I shall try the Tagetes....do I grow between or alongside the tatties

I wish I could offer first-hand experience but I only tried it once and it didn't survive our early summer frosts.  It is the root secretion which does the trick so I'd suggest interspersing a few between the potato drills.  Don't plant too many 'cos it will grow 4 - 6ft tall and therefore shade out the tatties next to it.

Chiltern Seeds sell it, so maybe you could ask them for their recommendations: http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/moreinfo.asp?pe=DBFBCJGFQ_+tagetes+minuta&cid=211

Remember to let us all know how it works.

Annie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 16:04 »
If I`m not mistaken eelworm is mainly a problem onpreviousy uncultivated land and decreases as a major prob the longer you grow and rotate.If it`s a real problem grow earlies which crop before the eelworm really gets going.

WG.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 16:07 »
Quote from: "Annie"
If I`m not mistaken eelworm is mainly a problem onpreviousy uncultivated land and decreases as a major prob the longer you grow and rotate.If it`s a real problem grow earlies which crop before the eelworm really gets going.

Correct but Kabby did say that it had been in grass for a while.  Dunno about the earlies buy growing an eelworm resistant potato would be a good move.

Kabby

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 16:34 »
Its been in grass for a long, long time, in fact the old boy who has had his plot for 40 years isn't sure if all of it has ever been used....is there a tattie that is resistant to eelworm?

I'll give the Tagetes a go....but not too many or it looks like I could end up with a jungle!

WG.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 16:42 »
Quote from: "Kabby"
is there a tattie that is resistant to eelworm?

Yes, several.  Most catalogues will include it in their description.

I know Annie suggested an early, but a maincrop variety with eelworm resistance will do wonders for weed control in your new patch.

I hesitate to choose a tattie variety for someone else but Maris Piper is an early maincrop variety with good eelworm resistance which enjoys wide popularity (although mine is a Rogues, Kerrs Pink and Pink Fir Apple household - we have no eelworm)

milkman

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 17:50 »
I grow Valor every year - a maincrop variety that is said to have good overall pest and disease resistance, especially to eelworms and blight.  Stores very well through the winter too - am still harvesting my spuds from the garage now  :)

ziggywigs

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 19:58 »
Plant Nicolas or Lady Christyls I've never had any bother with beasties on these, they also store well too.

This year i'm growing Lady Christyls and Swift.

These are eelworm resistant and here's some others:

Earlies: ‘Accent’, ‘Lady Christl’, ‘Pentland Javelin’, ‘Premiere’, ‘Rocket’, ‘Swift', ‘Winston'
Second earlies: 'Cabaret', ‘Kestrel’, ‘Nadine’, ‘Saxon’
Maincrop: ‘Cara’, ‘Maris Piper’, ‘Maxine’, ‘Nicola’, ‘Picasso’, ‘Sante’, 'Spey', ‘Valor’

clip
Is this a nutrient thing or a pruning thing

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 15:09
by JayG
xx
am In a bit of a panic!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 21:43
by sachkrimbo
xx
DON'T PANIC!!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 23:33
by peapod
xx
panic!

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 16:48
by fletch

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 34 queries.