Bramble roots

• 9 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Bramble roots
« on: March 14, 2007, 20:34 »
:x
I am eventually tackling a corner of the allotment which we described as a no-go area with unknown archaeology.
 :shock: I was shocked to find the ground even more impossible to dig than I had feared.
I shifted a huge pile of bricks, concrete, iron bars of all shapes and sizes, wooden planks in various states of rotting and a great big wire cage.
But I am stumped to know what to do about the long thick bramble roots - they really aggravate when they stop your fork strokes in mid swing.

Should I cut them, or use chlorate or Round-up or just go on breaking my back with the fork and spade.

Desperate for advice :cry:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Bramble roots
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 20:37 »
Light a big fire on top of them????? :twisted:
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

muntjac

Bramble roots
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 20:38 »
i would start where the roots are   about 3 ft from the stumps and dig into them from a trench   using a pair of loppers or small hand pruners cut them thru and dig on till you have cleared them i have seen them myself over 1.1/2 inch thick and can relate to what your up against, but  waiting for them to grow enough to be able to round up them wil waste time . so dig and cut to the depth of 2 spits and just take your time without breaking the spade or your back forget the fork as welll use a sharp spade edge to cut the ground :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

Bramble roots
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 20:49 »
If you don't need the ground for growing this year, you might want to consider killing them off with a mulch.

I am breaking in a garden (organically) at a friend's house and there is a big bramble patch.  I've piled on 10 or more layers of cardboard weighed down with big tubs in which I am growing stuff.  It might take a year or two but I am patient - no plant can live without light.

Annie

Bramble roots
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 21:23 »
If you`re not organic you could try stump killer(sorry don`t know trade name).Do as Muntjac says then use this on the bits left.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Bramble roots
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 21:38 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i would start where the roots are   about 3 ft from the stumps and dig into them from a trench   using a pair of loppers or small hand pruners cut them thru and dig on till you have cleared them i have seen them myself over 1.1/2 inch thick and can relate to what your up against, but  waiting for them to grow enough to be able to round up them wil waste time . so dig and cut to the depth of 2 spits and just take your time without breaking the spade or your back forget the fork as welll use a sharp spade edge to cut the ground :wink:

Thanks muntjac, My extra problem is I don't know where the stump end of the roots are cos the upsides were all cut away last August. Since then they have been sitting under there own soil and 5 tons of cow manure.

I am now going to put 16 sq. M of teram, over the whole area and plant corgettes and cucumbers and spuds underneath.
Perhaps the remaining bramble roots will then give up as suggested later in the string :idea:

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Bramble roots
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
If you don't need the ground for growing this year, you might want to consider killing them off with a mulch.

I am breaking in a garden (organically) at a friend's house and there is a big bramble patch.  I've piled on 10 or more layers of cardboard weighed down with big tubs in which I am growing stuff.  It might take a year or two but I am patient - no plant can live without light.

Thanks WG.
See my reply to MJ.     So you would think I will be OK after this summer "mulching" like that.

SkipRat

Bramble roots
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 21:42 »
I had a bit of a bramble patch on my new allotment. The lad on the next plot saw me struggling with a fork and spade, he kindly lent me his mattock and this made the job a lot easier and quicker.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

WG.

Bramble roots
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 22:40 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
Thanks WG.
See my reply to MJ.     So you would think I will be OK after this summer "mulching" like that.

Hard to say without seeing the patch.  If it is only 4m x 4m or equivalent, I'd be tempted to put the courgettes and cucumbers in containers on top of the Teram.

I didn't hack away any brambles and so my "mulch" is being held 4" off the ground by brambles - hopefully dying brambles.

leeky

Bramble roots
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 23:15 »
vote for mattocking here. love swinging them, so just an excuse really  :shock:  3 huge * to come out too.

clip
Roots roots roots - reviving my plot

Started by BuddingGrower on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 22:57
by compostqueen
xx
Bramble question

Started by ThatsNice on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 17:38
by ThatsNice
xx
A raspberry or another bramble?

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 22:48
by peterjf
xx
Bramble Burn or Compost

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 16:34
by woodburner

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 33 queries.