Spacing my raspberry canes???

• 9 Replies

Dan

• Experienced Member
« on: March 13, 2007, 18:47 »
As posted on the "what to do with my raspberry canes" thread i have been given some 30 odd canes...

Its now decided they are all summer ones and the new trench is being dug to re home them....but....blimey oh riley? i have googled some raspberry planting instructions and checked all my allotment / veg books...and the spacing between the canes seems to vary from 4" to a whopping 30" ? with space between the rows ( which i wont be doing) varying between 30" to 1.5m to 6ft???

i really dont have that kind of room...and im also getting in rows with my "Know all" mum who says they only need be about 4" spaced between each cane? ....whats the deal chaps?

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 18:54 »
Also...

I know the norm is to have the two posts....with two spaced apart wires with the canes sitting between them and supported but can you not do it with three single wires at 3 heights and then train the canes along the wires...kind of fanned out if you get me?

noshed

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 19:00 »
One lot of wires will be fine - I did it like that in a previous garden. I'd put the canes about 6-8" apart and plant with plenty of compost or BFB or chicken manure pellets.
They spread like mad anyway so you'll be digging out suckers and stuff in future years.
Don't worry - it will be fine!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 19:06 »
Ok splendid...i will have to limit it to 6" between each one and yes i plan to do the 3 wires ( like a fence) first cane up and along top wire, second up and along middle wire....third up and along lower wire then back to the top? does this make sense or is it a no no?

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 19:13 »
My rasberries just grow UP... no ALONG factor.  Although the blackberries I trained along wires.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 19:42 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
My rasberries just grow UP... no ALONG factor.  Although the blackberries I trained along wires.

Agreed - just onwards & upwards - to infinity & beyond!

Sorry - got carried away. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 19:44 »
Most certainly you can do one line of wire, Dan, but a lot of us have the T wire system (sort of a cage thing) so that the growing canes can flop to whichever direction they want and still be contained. With only one side of wires, whether 1 to 4 lines high, you'll have to either tie them on or weave them through reguarly so they stay off the ground and out of the way. With limited garden time, I prefer the T bars at the end with extra wires along the verticals so the canes keep themselves in line.   :wink:

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 19:55 »
not sure i follow you trillium? can you craw me a picture? ha ha

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 20:11 »
Me draw? Not a chance. But think of the T posts at either end of the raspberry row and wire going completely around from any starting point and back to the starting point, say  1 ft high. then another line of wire going completely around at about 3 ft high, then another at 4-5 ft high, depending on the variety height. I also add extra bars to the T posts for the different heights of wires I add - and pull them all taut. I don't make the rows overly long or the wires tend to droop. A middle post on either side helps too with spacing and tautness. In essence, you sort of cage in the plants.  :D

noshed

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 22:35 »
Plant your canes as you plan and tie them in as they grow - they will be mainly straight but that will be fine. Two wires will probably be enough. Just go for it. Plants don't behave that precisely.

xx
what to do with raspberry canes??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:04
by splodger
xx
Raspberry canes!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 19:24
by mr Isaccs
xx
raspberry canes

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 19:18
by gobs
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:39
by Trillium

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 33 queries.