Supports for fruit trees

• 2 Replies

Heifer73

• Experienced Member
Supports for fruit trees
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:38 »
Hi

How does everyone support their fruit trees :?:

I have read in most of my gardening books that I should put in stakes with wire across and grow them up this.

Help needed please
Bye

Heifer

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

muntjac

Supports for fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 13:22 »
that is using a method of wires attached to posts and its called .cordon or espallier training .this depends on what space you havand what you want from your trees .espalier is time consuming  ( as is cordon ) but  is usually used up against walls  and cordon is an open field method for normal fruit trees growing as in an orchard you dont need this method unless your growing it this way for some reason  .to support them i just use a 3 inch round post put into the ground at an angle of 10 oclock to the tree and secure using a tree band from your garden supppliers .remember also to fit a grease band to the tree about a foot above the soil level , this stops bugs crawling up
still alive /............

Trillium

Supports for fruit trees
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 15:18 »
I grow regular dwarf and semi dwarf trees and find that when young, they all need staking, either against soft ground and flopping over or strong winds, until they're strong & old enough to stand by themselves. Best time is when you first plant so you knew exactly where the roots are; if you don't know, place the stake at least a foot past the trunk and work slowly. I use anything strong at hand: rebar, 2x2's, metal poles (under 1" thick) and use a hammer or sledge to get them into the ground at least 2 ft or they'll be back out too soon. Where possible, apply the Tanglefoot stuff to both the support and the trunk because the pests will climb up both. I also wrap some plastic tree guard at the bottom against rabbit chewing in winter (and against cat clawing). I spray paint the wraps with brown paint for plastic so that the trees don't have those glowing white socks out in the field.  :lol:

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 32 queries.