taties are in

• 17 Replies

moz

taties are in
« on: March 11, 2007, 18:35 »
Now then,
Having debated for ages Ive finally went ahead and planted all of our taties. First and second earlies, main and late main crop.

The old boys on our site have already gone ahead and got their earlies in so I figures that it was getting close to potato planting time but they were waiting another few weeks to get their mains in.

The next few weekends though Im going to be busy so Ive decided to go ahead and get them in rather than hanging on for another 3-4 weeks until I have enough time again.

New boy on the plot, first with his main crop in the ground.....I just hope Im not going to end up being the one with the poorest crop !

Oh well, I  figured that Ive got to do what I can when I have the time so today was the day when I took the plunge, so here goes and fingers crossed  :? .

Cheers,
Moz

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
taties are in
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 18:52 »
Make sure to earth them up well or any late frost will GET'EM  :shock:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
taties are in
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 18:52 »
You're very early, but with global warming, you may get away with it! No one on our site has put any spuds in yet & we are a lot further south than you. My lates won't go in for at least another month.

You can still get frosts in May and your spuds will be well through by then, hope you've got some straw or fleece on standby!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

philmay

taties are in
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 19:02 »
Loads of people on our site have been putting their spuds in this weekend.
So being new at growing veg we just copied them  :)  and have planted 5 kilos of pentland javlin and 5 kilos of Charlotte today. Will need to keep an eye on the frost forecasts just in case, but if its good enough for the old boys its good enough for me.

Bigbadfrankie

taties are in
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 19:08 »
I think its early yet, but I put in two rows of Ezdell blues (earlies). What with mothers day, the daughters wedding at the end of the month. If it rains it could well be April before I get to do much more at the garden. The soil temp was not bad but it was very wet. Which made banking hard work.
always have a target
and an objective.

WG.

taties are in
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 19:17 »
Don't worry Moz.  Frost never killed a tattie yet.  It only sets them back a week.   All mine are planted and I'll be getting frosts in late May / early June.   All I do is keep them earthed up as quickly as I can.

Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
I put in two rows of Edzell blues

A man of taste and distinction!   The EB is an excellent variety.  More of a second early according to most catalogues.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
taties are in
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 19:22 »
Quote from: "philmay"
Loads of people on our site have been putting their spuds in this weekend.
So being new at growing veg we just copied them  :)  and have planted 5 kilos of pentland javlin and 5 kilos of Charlotte today. Will need to keep an eye on the frost forecasts just in case, but if its good enough for the old boys its good enough for me.

But you must be getting on for 300 miles further south than Moz - makes a bit of difference!

ziggywigs

taties are in
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 21:01 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Don't worry Moz.  Frost never killed a tattie yet.  It only sets them back a week.   All mine are planted and I'll be getting frosts in late May / early June.   All I do is keep them earthed up as quickly as I can.

Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
I put in two rows of Edzell blues

A man of taste and distinction!   The EB is an excellent variety.  More of a second early according to most catalogues.

:shock:  WG you've got yours in already???  You're a brave soul...i've been soo tempted with the weather being soo good.  

Mind you i earth 'em up pretty high so they'd prob be ok.....I wonder if weather will allow me next weeken.....<drumsfingersandponders>

WG.

taties are in
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 21:12 »
Quote from: "ziggywigs"
:shock:  WG you've got yours in already???  You're a brave soul...i've been soo tempted with the weather being soo good.  

Mind you i earth 'em up pretty high so they'd prob be ok.

You'll get much less frost at/near Invergordon.   How many miles from the sea is your garden?

For one old variety I grow, I keep my own seed 'cos I don't know of anyone else who grows it.  Certainly not commercially available.  I quite frequently plant this in October or November and there aren't many gaps in the drills.   After all, don't all of the little 'uns you miss come up as weeds the following year?

ziggywigs

taties are in
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 21:22 »
It might be better to ask how many yards i am from the sea is the garden!  I overlook the firth so it's not too far.

It's certainly true that you get harder frost than we do here.....i've often found good sized tatties that i've missed and ok for use.  I've got quite a few seeds that i've saved myself...use this to plug any gaps.

Mmmm if weather permits me think i will be oot planting....mind you i can feel the disapproval from my late FIL!  He always had dates for tatties and things.   :?

muntjac

taties are in
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 21:24 »
Quote from: "ziggywigs"
It might be better to ask how many yards i am from the sea is the garden!  I overlook the firth so it's not too far.

It's certainly true that you get harder frost than we do here.....i've often found good sized tatties that i've missed and ok for use.  I've got quite a few seeds that i've saved myself...use this to plug any gaps.

Mmmm if weather permits me think i will be oot planting....mind you i can feel the disapproval from my late FIL!  He always had dates for tatties and things.   :?

all those flocks of geese come over yours zigs?
still alive /............

silkie1

taties
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 21:28 »
I put all my potatoes in boxes with 2 inches of peat in the bottom
     then place in a frost free shed
                                    Jim

WG.

taties are in
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 21:30 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
 all those flocks of geese come over yours zigs?

Used to be flocks of Sunderland flying boats in the Cromarty Firth.  See http://www.theoldhometown.com/invergordon/picture/number346.asp

ziggywigs

taties are in
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 22:16 »
The geese do come over....i love to see 'em.  Where i used to live on the Black Isle i overlooked the Strath where they stayed over winter and bred.   Lovely site if not very noisy at night but like everything else you get used to 'em.

Inverg was the old Navy Town.....used until the '50s...in fact where my house now stands used to be one of the old tank sites they used for refuelling....i've still got a bund wall on the outside of my fence and some sort of a wall they used to shoot at.

moz

taties are in
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 22:23 »
I figured that if I didnt get em in this weekend then I wasnt sure when I would next have the time to do it.  :(  

We dont get loads of frost and we are pretty close to the coast and at sea level so Ive took the gamble and the chits were looking a bit leggy- they are pretty well earthed up and under the ground so I suppose only time will tell,

Cheers,

xx
New allotment, clay soil conditioning and taties

Started by Rich on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 19:48
by Christine

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 32 queries.