Buying a shed - HELP!!

• 15 Replies

Waynestrout

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« on: March 10, 2007, 18:52 »
I'm starting the process of buying a shed for my new plot. I've been to the dreaded B&Q and been searching the internet. there's so many different styles, woods, floors etc.

I'm not after anything fancy, a 6x4 will do nicely, however, has any one any horror stories or things to consider when investing in the perfect accomodation for my bits and bobs.

Ta

WAYNESTROUT
....and the leaves turn from red to brown....

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
sheds
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 19:27 »
if you are looking for a shed for security for tools be careful a shed usually signifies something valuble inside and worth breaking into.
I keep my tools in the greenhouse and never lost anything. One of my neighbours put a shed up and within days had the lock broken off.
 A possible idea is one of the low profile bench type lock ups hidden behind the compost heap or something.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

agapanthus

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 20:12 »
A lot of people on our field put trapdoors into the floors of their sheds (having dug out some of the earth below) to store valuable tools and the like in. Good idea I thought...after I'd laid all the slabs for my shed to sit on  :roll:  :roll:

ziggywigs

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 20:58 »
Try this link.....Woolies although they tend to be cheaper at the end of the season.

Is there no-one locally that could make one for you if you bought the wood?   It really does cut the costs!

Annie

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 21:46 »
It`s been said before but try Freecycle,2 sheds and greenhouse glass on offer locally to me today.

frazzy

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 22:00 »
a lot of people on our site are putting up metal sheds as they dont get set on fire by the local louts
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 09:11 »
WAYNESTROUT

I'm also in Bristol and the local papers often have sheds and greenhouses listed.  Can't remeber which paper it was but it was one of the free ones and there were two greenhouse listed as free.

I thought Bristol had put sheds on all the plots thanks to the investment they put into allotments and open spaces. Maybe it was only certain regions.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Waynestrout

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 09:44 »
Sweatpeas

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been trying the freecycle approach, however, nothing was coming up. I'll have a look at the freeads paper.

I'm interested in the council putting sheds on all plots bit. I might try and find out about that.

Which site are you on? I'm new to one of the Ashley Hill sites, within the green fence!!

WAYNESTROUT

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 10:14 »
Is that Ashley Down area?

I'm on the Sturminister Road site which is the Brislington area.

My plot (which I got in Feb this year) came with a shed and I was told that the popular Tulbot road site sold land to the NHS for parking for their new hospital and the money went towards fencing for all sites and sheds.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 10:20 »
I think we may still have the free papers from last week, I'll see if I can find them.

yummy

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 18:52 »
We need a shed too and have been 'umming and arrring' about what to buy. I've been suspicious of buying a lovely looking new shed because it will stand out like a sore thumb. May aswell stick a 'burn me down' sign on it. The only other new looking shed near our plot has w***** sprayed all over it so I guess that is a warning of what to expect (unless that particular plot holder, who I must stress I have never met, is infact a W  :lol:  )

OH wants an all singing all dancing massive shed of luxury (where he has hidden his money stash I don't know?) but I'm really reluctant because I think it may just get trashed. :(

beansticks

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 19:00 »
Whatever you go for, go for the biggest you can afford or accommodate,sorry to hear other people suffer from such vandalism fortunately we have not had anything so drastic on our site,dont know what the world is coming to,but we have exhausted that thread before.

yummy

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 19:03 »
Quote from: "beansticks"
Whatever you go for, go for the biggest you can afford or accommodate,sorry to hear other people suffer from such vandalism fortunately we have not had anything so drastic on our site,dont know what the world is coming to,but we have exhausted that thread before.

On our site there was a railway carriage that was towed there in the 1920's and it was used as the site shop. After 80 years it was burnt down just before Christmas  :evil: Now replaced with a metal container  :(

beansticks

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 19:20 »
Bring back conscription.and legalise drugs,the source of most crimes

Waynestrout

Buying a shed - HELP!!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 20:10 »
Sweatpeas

I enquired today and they certainly weren't supplying sheds up at our site. Shame, looks like I'll have to shell out for my own.

Yep, you're right, the Ashley Down lotties. I've had a look on the Bristol Free Ads website and there are a few for sale. I might persue this next week. I'm off working for a few days, probably next weekends project.

we completed the diging of the first bed today - hard work, very solid mud, but now at least some of it's de-weeded. Weather supurb wasn't it/

WAYNESTROUT

xx
buying compost

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 21:25
by wighty
xx
buying seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2019, 19:25
by snowdrops
xx
Buying on line

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2023, 09:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Buying garlic

Started by love-my-plot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 13:58
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 31 queries.