Almost there...

• 34 Replies

muntjac

Almost there...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 22:12 »
its true lol she got 11lbs from em last years lol .. i take the rocks out when she go bed n swop em fer taters we put a name tag on em saying these is jades .. strange thing is her moms called cara lolo :lol:
still alive /............

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 22:18 »
I know about the fence we have but it don't stop the little darlings getting over!!!

We are getting a load of gorse bushes planted around the perimeter so that will stop them in 10years or so

But it is cheap!!!!
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 10:40 »
I have visited the site this morning, it is in the grounds of a working PYO fruit farm, strawberry fields on one side and a field with a herd of longhorn cows on the other! The farmhouse also overlooks the plots and access is via a secure gate (or by climbing over a rather large and ancient hedgerow….ouch!  :twisted:

It is more expensive than we thought but then again, what isn’t in this country these days?

It’s a five-minute walk from our house and you couldn’t ask for a better location.

And its now mine!!!!!!!   :D  :D  :D
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 11:24 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
its true lol she got 11lbs from em last years lol .. i take the rocks out when she go bed n swop em fer taters we put a name tag on em saying these is jades .. strange thing is her moms called cara lolo :lol:

Don't you think that teaching her spontaineous generation (ie life springing from inanimate objects) is a tad misleading?????  

I mean the genuine miracle is amazing in itself without decieving the poor kid.  I do think you should put her right this year!

(Sorry this is the science teacher coming out in me.... I spend a lot of time putting right various urban myths and I find it totally amazing that anyone would intentionally perpetuate a joke like this over more than one season!  You'll be lucky if she maintains an interest in gardening - no-one even a tiny likes being made a fool of!)
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

muntjac

Almost there...
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 14:31 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
Quote from: "muntjac"

Don't you think that teaching her spontaineous generation (ie life springing from inanimate objects) is a tad misleading?????  

I mean the genuine miracle is amazing in itself without decieving the poor kid.  I do think you should put her right this year!

(Sorry this is the science teacher coming out in me.... I spend a lot of time putting right various urban myths and I find it totally amazing that anyone would intentionally perpetuate a joke like this over more than one season!  You'll be lucky if she maintains an interest in gardening - no-one even a tiny likes being made a fool of!)

without being sarcastic or nasty .. thats total rubbish kids are fun and its part of having them to do magic things etc . kids are sat in front of a tv programme being taught science by stupid cartoon figures  is this realistic . taught to read and write by the same cartoon creatures and honestly i think school teaches them absolutly nothing of use except the 3RS and they dont even do that blooming job properly if the govt education is to be believed . they cant even speak english properly and yet they are being asked to learn blooming mandarin . my brothers grand daughter actually started talking like a blooming telly tubby .but as for the science part she is 5 yrs old n everything is  miracle to her . we have just planted 150 seeds of runner beans .. 50 tumbling tom tomatoes n 50 money maker . 30 chilli plants  and a load of chanteney red cored carrots . she knows now that taters come from taters as chickens come from eggs . i do not perpetuate urban myths in letting her believe that rocks grow to be taters . she picked em up off the beach and told her uncle ( my son  ) that they  was for grandads  n they taters .she has witnessed puppies being born and rabbits .seen chickens killed and plucked and then cooked . and frankly  i think kids have enough to worry about in school being taught rubbish in many circumstances without having the mystery and wonderment destroyed before they even get to school  as for urban myths  they are what makes life interesting finding out where they originate from .when in fact they probably hold some truth even if its only a minute amount .  better they are taught that than meat comes from  safeways .

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 15:38 »
Whoa!

Potatoes grow from potatoes.... miracle.

Potatoes grow from stones.... funny first year to think that she believed it.  Not funny IMO to keep the deception going.

If I were 5, I'd react by being very hurt that some-one I trusted had knowingly taught me a load of old nonsense.

I agree about all the other stuff.... cartoons are mostly rubbish, many books & websites are junk despite their PC and edu-speak credentials.  Don't tar me with the same brush as all teachers.

I agree you have this 5 yr old out there planting runner beans etc.  I'm all for education in the real world.  She'll have many happy memories and will learn fantastic skills for life with you that can simply not be taught in school.

But think about it - who is this joke funny for?  You and your friends or the child?

Perhaps we'll have to agree to differ on this one.   8)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Almost there...
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 15:42 »
Here, here Munty. Kids seem to have no fun anymore, take my 10 year old, she comes home every night with an hour worth of home work, weekend it can be more than 3 hours worth. I spend one afternoon a week with the reception class on our school veg plot, we are teaching them maths, science and healthy living in a fun way not stuck in the classroom. I dont think turning stone into spuds is wrong, if it is then so is telling them that if they dont behave then Father Christmas wont bring any presents, Father Christmas must be the biggest lie we tell them every year. I agree with you there Munty, lets have fun with children.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Puff

Almost there...
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 15:55 »
What on earth is wrong in a bit of fun and magic for a 5 year old?

I can't remember feeling deceived/traumatised when I found out that the tooth fairy was my Mum, that Santa Claus was my Dad!

I think children have always been sophisticated enough to understand a bit of fun/magic without losing their sense of wonder or impeding their enthusiasm for learning to understand what happens in nature. The best way of learning is by 'doing' and 'experience' too.

I think humans of any age learn best when they don't realise they are being 'taught at' and putting a humorous twist and some fun/magic can't do anything but good.  :tongue2:

Puff

Almost there...
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 15:59 »
....and before the thread derail swallows up the original subject

Congratulations on getting your plot sideways :)

Trillium

Almost there...
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 16:00 »
Congrats on getting your plot Sideways. You can't really put a price on happiness, so enjoy it. It has almost everything you want, other than a cheaper cost, and it certainly sounds better situated against vandals than other lotty members are going through now -stolen greenhouses, burned sheds, damaged produce, possible eviction, etc. Enjoy!  :D

WG.

Almost there...
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 16:56 »
Quote from: "Puff"
I can't remember feeling deceived/traumatised when I found out that the tooth fairy was my Mum, that Santa Claus was my Dad!

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  What! Do you mean ... that ... dad did ...  all along !!!!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:   I did wonder why it all stopped when he died.

Quote from: "Puff"
What on earth is wrong in a bit of fun and magic for a 5 year old?

I have to agree.  Kids have tremendous imaginations and she dreamt up the whole thing herself.  Nothing wrong in going along with it for a while.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 17:55 »
Okay so it seems I'm out voted here..... :oops:  :oops:

We are all, I believe, posting from the angle of having the child's interests at heart - just have different ways of achieving it.

Hopefully we can agree to differ. :)

agapanthus

Almost there...
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 19:28 »
Quote from: "GafferGamgee"
I know about the fence we have but it don't stop the little darlings getting over!!!

We are getting a load of gorse bushes planted around the perimeter so that will stop them in 10years or so

But it is cheap!!!!

does poison ivy grow over here????????

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 19:59 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Quote from: "GafferGamgee"

But it is cheap!!!!

does poison ivy grow over here????????

I like your style....  :wink:

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Re: Almost there...
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 13:53 »
Quote from: "Sideways"
The size of a plot is 5m x 12 m with a path surrounding around it. The Allotment will be ploughed and cultivated ready to start planting into, water will available from water tanks located around the allotment field.  The price of the allotment is £45 per annum payable in advance.

How does that look to you guys? Is the cost ok?

I'm only paying £15 for half a plot - but I would happily pay someone another £50 if I could turn up and it was already ploughed and cultivated!
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 33 queries.