Almost there...

• 34 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« on: March 09, 2007, 20:26 »
I have received the agreement to sign for the allotment plot, it all looks fine and we are keen to get in there.

Here are some details-
The size of a plot is 5m x 12 m with a path surrounding around it. The Allotment will be ploughed and cultivated ready to start planting into, water will available from water tanks located around the allotment field.  The price of the allotment is £45 per annum payable in advance.

How does that look to you guys? Is the cost ok?
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

noshed

Almost there...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 20:28 »
Mine's £26 a year for 125 sqm and that's in the big city - police helicopter patrols and everything.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

muntjac

Almost there...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 20:29 »
if you are happy its doesnt mnater what others think . plot size is fine  prices vary around the country , get water butts that are close to your plot if ya can  :wink:
still alive /............

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 20:31 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Mine's £26 a year for 125 sqm and that's in the big city - police helicopter patrols and everything.

I did suspect it was quite pricey, although the location is very good.

:?

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 20:35 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
if you are happy its doesnt mnater what others think . plot size is fine  prices vary around the country , get water butts that are close to your plot if ya can  :wink:

One of the main reasons we wanted to take on the allotment is to encourage our five-year-old daughter to get involved in producing good food and learning that food just doesn’t appear on the plate from nowhere. I see it as a family thing, something to share and enjoy, surely that’s worth £45 a year, the food is a bonus.

noshed

Almost there...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 20:38 »
Yes - getting muddy is priceless

muntjac

Almost there...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 20:39 »
im with you .i have a 5 yr old apprentice  here for the weekend and we are sowing seeds in the greenhouse .. runners  french beans oms cucs chilli's salad stuff . she wil bring some cobbles of the beach n plant  her tatters. she plants rocks n up come tatties in a tub lolo we have had some nice weather here  im all ready to go on my plots just gotta wait til the end the month  but if my pear buds open then its gonna be sooner , kids n gardens mix no matter what they doing ... its getting dirty they like  :lol:

frazzy

Almost there...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 20:43 »
:) sounds ok to me .ready to plant in as well ,now that cant be bad i wish our council had done that lol. Get stuck in you,ll love it
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
Almost there...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 21:06 »
I would pay more for the plot if the security was better...trouble is I am by far the youngest at 45 and I think the others(60+) are moaning about it being £26 a year.

But they are the first to moan about vandals?!!?!?!?
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

fluffypebble

Almost there...
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 21:19 »
Gaffer, your plot has a 6 foot fence and you need a key to get in.  Mine is a 3 foot wooden fence and a gate you can jump over and no key.

How you getting on with the brambles?
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

purplebat

Almost there...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 21:20 »
your lucky, ours hasn't got either!
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

muntjac

Almost there...
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 21:21 »
Quote from: "fluffypebble"
Gaffer, your plot has a 6 foot fence and you need a key to get in.  Mine is a 3 foot wooden fence and a gate you can jump over and no key.

How you getting on with the brambles?

weave brables over the top and if ya can plant some and i tell ya they will stop anyone coming over lolo

jack russell

Almost there...
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 21:46 »
hi all i think the cost is very small even if it were  100.00 per annum

the point gaffer gamgee made is correct the elders dont want to pay any more but expect something to be done about vandals etc.

i kinda think if the rent is high then you will get serious peeps who are willing to pay the extra to get the right service.  and also stick it out more than a year or two at most.  (how common is this where you are?)

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Almost there...
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 21:46 »
Quote from: "Sideways"
I have received the agreement to sign for the allotment plot, it all looks fine and we are keen to get in there.

Here are some details-
The size of a plot is 5m x 12 m with a path surrounding around it. The Allotment will be ploughed and cultivated ready to start planting into, water will available from water tanks located around the allotment field.  The price of the allotment is £45 per annum payable in advance.

How does that look to you guys? Is the cost ok?

Blooming 'eck. I pay £35 for 10m x 30m ( 5 times the size of the one you've taken on), with handy taps and hosepipes are allowed.  I got the first 6 months free, as I took it on in September and rents are not collected until March (that then is in advance).

But as has been commented on - it varies greatly, it's still a lot cheaper than a gym, and when all is done you have something to show for it. PLUS - you are bringing on an apprentice.

Just be wary of this 'ploughed & cultivated' business - it may look good, but there's a good chance they've chopped up all the couch grass, bind weed, re-planted it for it to come back 100 fold!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dabhand

Almost there...
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 21:58 »
she wil bring some cobbles of the beach n plant  her tatters. she plants rocks n up come tatties in a tub lolo

Oh Muntjac, that is tattyfillarious lol :lol:

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 33 queries.