Potato Onion Seeds

• 22 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato Onion Seeds
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 14:44 »
Any luck zazen999?  I tried ringing Helligan and they were not sure but said they did get a lot of seeds and contacts from Garden Organic (Henry Doubleday as was) when they were setting up the veg garden. I have emailed them and asked if they know of a supplier.

I've found quite a few suppliers in the States, but none that ship to the UK.  Most of the suppliers I found did Egyptian Walking Onions as well and they are something different but do look cool. I'd be interested in a swapsie if you have some to spare later on.

Also found more names for this Potato Onion. Latin name is Allium cepa var. Solanium and common names Hill Onion, Mother Onion and Pregnant Onion.

New shoot

zazen999

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 14:48 »
Not yet - but well done so far!!!GO might have some info for you - lets hope they get back to you.

I'll do some more research - i found one page of a website saying the crucial bit is to find a supplier as once you've got them, you'll never have to buy them again - but didn't list any suppliers! Doh. We know that!!!

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 16:12 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_onion

These still dont really sound like a large underground bulb being the most interesting thing. I wonder if they are the same?
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 16:16 »

zazen999

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 17:31 »
The Tree onions are the Egyptian walking ones...top setting  - but a good chum has found a supplier of the potato onions

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/catalogue1.asp

I've not called them but will do so next week.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 17:47 »
They have some great herbs on that site that i haven't seen for sale before have saved it for later!!
Well done your friend

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 18:39 »
Thanks  zazen - fab site  8)  I've saved it to my favourites so I can have a good read on my day off next week. Loads of interesting stuff as well as the elusive potato onion.

New shoot  :) :) :)

followme

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 13:38 »
Does anyone know a supplier for these please. I've just read about them and want to try them but have come up empty handed on the internet looking for a supplier.

Although I am new to the Forum I have been active for some years.  The potato onion is very similar to the shallot, but forms underground, and like it does not normally make any seed at all.  It used to be grown in the UK and there may be some old gardeners (who are not so likely to be members of this forum) in Somerset, Devon, or Cornwall who still grow it, but I have not been able to find any yet.

The shallot is the more important crop and is now available as seed but the commercial growers are not doing the same for the potato onion

So the short answer is that there is no seed available and won't be.  They are grown from bulbs and are available in places like the Ukraine (where some work is being done on them) and the USA.  Unfortunately you are not allowed to import from the USA by post, but apparently may bring in up to 1/2 lb of healthy bulbs for your own use in your hand luggage.  I can't get any now until next Autumn but will be bringing some in then for growing in 2010. 

The question of seed is interesting.  They, and shallots, can be made to flower but need both cold treatment at a particular stage of development and growing on in semi drought conditions as far as I can see.  The current varieties available do not make large bulbs but apparently some of the clones derived from accidently seeded potato onions do produce more useful sized bulbs.

I would like to see them back in cultivation in this country again and doing so by producing seed is the obvious way.  If I can find any bulbs in the EU then importing will not be a problem and we could start with them.  Otherwise we will all have to be a bit patient I am afraid.

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Potato onion???????

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post November 30, 2009, 04:07
by chriscross1966
xx
onion seeds should i ar should i not

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 21:26
by solway cropper
xx
Onion seeds through

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 14:08
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 36 queries.