Aldi raspberry,tayberry canes and currant help please

• 19 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Hi,
I bought the rasperry and tayberry canes in Aldi, I put them in a lovely bed, the tayberries have lovley shoots on them and one of the 3 raspberries has nice green leves on it, this cane is thinner than the others, but the other 2 are thick like bamboo canes and there is no sign of growth, in fact there is a little grey dust (mildew?) on the canes.
Will they be ok do you think or should I hoof them out a get a couple more in quickly?

Will raspberries be ok to grow with tayberries I have planted them together 1 of each in a row.

Now I have a redcurrant and blackcurrant plant left, (from aldi also) they have nice shoots on them too, how big do they get? and will they like to be in a pot or not?

Thanks for help,I have just built a new raised bed 3mx4.5m and I can't wait to get it going.
 I have got loads of info from here and have already learnt to sit on my hands  a bit at this time of year and be patient! (I am desperate to get it planted up!)

noshed

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 10:27 »
That's a blooming big raised bed LL - it's better to have them narrowish (1.2m) so you can cultivate without treading on the bed but I suppose you could put some stepping stones in.
Most rasberries get cut back after fruiting but the tayberries only need tidying up so it might get a bit confusing having them together. Apart from that it shouldn't matter. You've time to shift them about now if you decide to. The mildewy ones may be up the creek - get some more anyway you need a few to get a decent crop.
There's another thread about planting currants - you need to give them a bit of room.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 10:52 »
While we are on the subject of currants and things.  I finally got OH to show me how to prune my blackcurrant properly.  Although I didn't actually learn much as he just did it, but I was a bit dubious because they say blackcurrants fruit on new wood, but most of my new wood was growing on old wood, hence my confusion.  (It doesn't take much to confuse me these days!!)

Anyway, there were loads of 'bits' that he cut off and they were all budding up, so I've taken cuttings, put them in rooting powder and at the moment, they are growing well.  However, how long will it take them to root properly?  As in my books, it states you should leave the cuttings in for a year before planting in their final positions.  I want to give some to my firend, and OH said I thought you were going to give some to sharon, and I said yes, but they aren't rooted properly yet, and he said but they are leafing up!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 13:16 »
Quote from: "noshed"
That's a blooming big raised bed LL - it's better to have them narrowish (1.2m) so you can cultivate without treading on the bed but I suppose you could put some stepping stones in.
Most rasberries get cut back after fruiting but the tayberries only need tidying up so it might get a bit confusing having them together. Apart from that it shouldn't matter. You've time to shift them about now if you decide to. The mildewy ones may be up the creek - get some more anyway you need a few to get a decent crop.
There's another thread about planting currants - you need to give them a bit of room.

I know it sounds big, but as it is in my garden at the end it, It was where a greenhouse stodd before we lived here, last year I used it as an uneven veggie patch, not much in it, but this year because there was more soil in there than there was space for, so I put sides around it.  :lol:  (Well my neighbour did, so I didn't like to inerfere too much! I would have made 2 or even 4 smaller ones)
I have put a path of planks down the middle and two smaller planks like dashes to cross them, so I can have 4 different beds (1msq. each ish) to rotate but I can get at 3 sides of the whole thing so I am not too worried.

Another question is can I make the path down the middle from concrete gravel boards? I have read that concrete can affect the PH of the soil. anyone found this??

hmmm about the raspberries, although I was going to move them to out manure in after learning here they like it, so may group the raspberries then tayberries. (3 of each, no space for more in the garden. they have a sunny wall though!)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 13:58 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"

Anyway, there were loads of 'bits' that he cut off and they were all budding up, so I've taken cuttings, put them in rooting powder and at the moment, they are growing well.  However, how long will it take them to root properly?  As in my books, it states you should leave the cuttings in for a year before planting in their final positions.  I want to give some to my firend, and OH said I thought you were going to give some to sharon, and I said yes, but they aren't rooted properly yet, and he said but they are leafing up!

DON'T move them, they need to make good roots. You are right with a year, then move them, although the ideal time is around October to October. An unroot twig will make leaf, as there's still sap in it to draw on for food.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 16:40 »
Thanks Digger, I thought I was right, but you try telling OH that!!!! lol

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 16:46 »
It's only my opinion though.  You may get away with it, then OH will claim bragging rights!!!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 16:51 »
Oh no he won't, after all, I can prove it by showing him my books can't I???? lol

He's a funny chap.  Keeps telling me all season how I should do things, and that I'm doing it wrong, but when I do my own thing and we get lots of nice veggies, he says I'm really proud of you growing all that!!!

Strange............

milkman

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 17:27 »
are you sure you two aren't my in-laws?  :?  
Grannieannie + OH sound a good double act anyway.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

yummy

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 19:01 »
I've got some of the Aldi fruit bushes too. They are in pots at the moment because my fruit patch isn't ready. Coincidentally they all have shoots on now apart from the raspberry canes.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 19:46 »
hmmm, still no life from the 2 raspberries.. think they might be gonners.. not giving up yet!

1 does have shoots though!  :?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 19:58 »
All my Aldi fruit bushes are doing great, I put them in a couple of weeks ago.  The only thing that appears dead is my expensive raspberry, bought from the garden centre. :cry:
Cheese makes everything better.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 20:37 »
Hmm, OK after advice I dug the lot up To move them and group together the tays and rasps, and to manure underneath, and I was going to take out the 2 (Allegedly) dead rasp canes, and the roots have shoots on them.. most of the roots are brown and woody looking, but there were 2 or 3 white new looking shoots on the roots of both, so I put the chicken pellets  lower down and watered them like mad and put them back in. Might there be hope??
My fear is leaving them in, them being dead and then it being too late to buy some new plants to put in their place, as I only have room for about 3-5 (at a big push) canes.
But I also don't want to get rid of plants that might be good. I know I am learning patience!

ARRGH what should I do??

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 20:39 »
id bin the old uns n re[place them move the lot to a new place altogether as the ground may be old  and they could do with fresh soil ..
still alive /............

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 20:43 »
THanks Muntjac, I knew you'd come to my rescue (again!)
Do you think the shoots on the roots are insignificant then?

I don't really have anywhere to move them to, but nothing has been in that bed and it has been well fertilised etc. with compost over the time, so I plan to keep the position, it's ideal as a fixed place for rasps.

Will look on ebay for 2/3 new plants.

Thankyoooooooou
x

xx
Raspberry ,Tayberry and Tomato plants

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2019, 17:58
by mumofstig
xx
site for gooseberry/currant/raspberry

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:46
by viettaclark
xx
Aldi Fruit canes - Advice needed please

Started by Mafro on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 18:39
by cAnAry53
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by peanut on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 17:24
by Stoatus

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 33 queries.