Russian Tarragon?

• 4 Replies

Ali T

Russian Tarragon?
« on: January 27, 2024, 19:10 »
Hi all - quick question about Russian tarragon - I love tarragon to use as a herb and want to grow some in the plot, but can only find Russian, not French tarragon seeds. Is Russian tarragon really different in taste to the French variety, if so is it worth growing? Ta!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Russian Tarragon?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 08:31 »
I grow it.  French tarragon never survives over winter for me and I am in the south east of England.  The Russian tarragon I have comes up every year and is at least 5 years old now.

It’s milder and fresher tasting, but good in salads, coleslaw and for adding at the end of cooked dishes. If you want to preserve it over winter, I would go with freezing it in ice cubes, as drying it seems to rob it of most of its flavour.

Ali T

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 16:13 »
Thank you for the info New Shoot! Yep, I'll definitely give it a go this year  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 16:35 »
I grow it.  French tarragon never survives over winter for me and I am in the south east of England.

I can't even get French tarragon to thrive in summer here - over at least 5 years I've tried it in full sun, part shade, fed it, starved it, watered it, left it alone, 'and have yet to get more than one or two modest pickings per year.  :( :blush:

The dried herb isn't too bad actually IMHO, but I might try the Russian version this year even though it's usually described as having an inferior flavour.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 17:00 »
I don’t know about inferior.  It is different - not so aniseedy and intense, but I think it is fine.  It does not quite pack as much as a punch if you cook it for any length of time as the French version, but I just add it at the end instead.

French tarragon will grow for me over the summer, but the Russian tarragon is way more vigorous and I can pick loads without worrying about it.

xx
Tarragon

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2020, 12:44
by Goosegirl
xx
Tarragon

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 16:15
by Goosegirl
xx
What eats tarragon?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 07:34
by pink aubergine
xx
overwintering tarragon

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 10:56
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 45 queries.