How good are these greenhouses?

• 8 Replies

tudou

How good are these greenhouses?
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:03 »
A polycarb one or one like this?

My wife is wanting to get into a bit of greenhouse gardening since I've taken up most of the rest of the garden :D.

We can't afford a real glass greenhouse but I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on the style of products linked above?

Edit to fix links. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:08 by argyllie »

Lardman

Re: How good are these greenhouses?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04 »
If you can't find anything second hand (I couldn't either) then the cost of a glass 6x4 isn't that much more than the polycarb from Been and Queued.

http://www.hallsgreenhouses.co.uk/Halls_Popular_4ft_x_6ft_Wide_Greenhouse.htm Theres no base and its £10 more but its a well known make.

I wont comment on the plastic grow house, there have been enough thread on them already.

tudou

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:30 »
Thanks! That one you linked to looks rather nice. I'll pass that on to my missus.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:20 »
If you can't find anything second hand (I couldn't either) then the cost of a glass 6x4 isn't that much more than the polycarb from Been and Queued.

http://www.hallsgreenhouses.co.uk/Halls_Popular_4ft_x_6ft_Wide_Greenhouse.htm Theres no base and its £10 more but its a well known make.

I wont comment on the plastic grow house, there have been enough thread on them already.

Have a look round the big  DIY sheds first - I got the same greenhouse but 8 x 6 in Focus for
£168 in November. They don't always show their offers online.

tudou

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:37 »
Ah okay. Will look at BnQ and Dobbies (just the two closest "garden" centres).

I notice that one comes without a base - do I really need one (sorry if this is a stupid question)

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 13:32 »
We live in Fife and I definitely would'nt recommend a poly/plastic g/h.  We lost a 14x8 polycarbonate one to the winds. I'd recommend a glass g/h ...or if you have the space and shelter, a polytunnel.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 13:56 »
I notice that one comes without a base - do I really need one (sorry if this is a stupid question)

No; most bases are optional and may give a bit more height but still have to be fixed to the foundations. I wanted quite a bit more height so built a brick base on top of my concrete hard-standing (some people use concrete blocks which double as foundations if partly buried in the soil.)

Either way the bottom of the frame is then bolted, screwed, or strapped directly onto the base.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 17:48 »
I've just bought one which I think is the same as the polycarb one - except that I paid more  :mad:

So far I think it's OK BUT it's a complete and utter pain to put together.  The frame is OK it's the glazing.  Expect to wave goodbye to a whole weekend.

However, assembled it does look good and seeing as it's pretty near our house I did have to take looks into consideration.  

I've put it in a sheltered spot in the garden.  I'm not sure it would be any good out on an allotment with no protection though.

I've been using one of the plastic covered growhouses for a few years. It has its limitations - hence me getting the greenhouse.  But it's been very handy.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 17:50 by PennyS »
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 21:38 »
I bought a gardman polycarb greenhouse this year, never a secondhand one around when you want it. I wouldn't recommend it though. The clips holding in  the polycarb don't feel like they would survive a strong wind and the greenhouse is very lightweight.  One person could move the greenhouse around if it wasn't anchored in well. The base anchors that came with it don't seem strong enough so we made our own. We will also probably use a sealant around the glazing so it feels more windproof. The construction in general just feels a bit "Heath Robinson". It does the job but I don't think you should have to add your own improvements to make a brand new greenhouse feel up to the task. It was a pain to put up as well but I  think this is a common complaint with most greenhouses. It would put me off buying another polycarb anyway.

xx
2 greenhouses in to 1

Started by Caretaker on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:51
by Caretaker
question
greenhouses

Started by longey on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post December 15, 2011, 08:13
by LilacSandy
xx
joining greenhouses

Started by peterjf on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 23:11
by peterjf
xx
norfolk greenhouses

Started by bailey on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 07:46
by wozza

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 37 queries.