Outside today

• 11 Replies

pepsi100

Outside today
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:44 »
The chicks went out today,

I came down this morning, they had escaped from the boxes they had been living in, I had a mesh over the tiop to stop em jumping out, but it made no difference, they pecked through the side, very cunning these chicks

They were just wandering about looking rather bemused, the wife werent happy, they pooed all over the floor and not content with that they walked in it, so thats where they are now

I have checked the weather, its going to be cold, but no frost, and they dont have any draughts or wind getting in, I have put a light in there, that will stay on for a few nights before I turn it off

I'll have a shufti at em before I go to bed myself, its going to be there new home from now on, I havent opened the hatch for the run, I dont think they would find their way back to the coop

They have enough food for 3 days, and for some reason they like warm water, but I'll be checking every few hours to see how they are faring

Oh well lets see how they get on now
It's all about the journey, not the destination

agapanthus

Re: Outside today
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55 »
It a shame the wife got upset. I used to raise all mine in the house in an indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage. In the evenings we would spread an old dustsheet on the floor and let them out for a mosey. They became really tame...especially the turkeys...it was great!! :D

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 13:02 »
I was pretty peeved as well, I had to clean it up  :(

They are pretty hand tame anyway, theres no squaking or flapping about when I cleaned them out, they kmnew whatr would be happening anyway, they would be going back to a nice clean box

I think there are 6 hens and 5 cockerels, (the tails look different from the hens) but I wont be sure, really sure until they are older ;)

The hens were always the worst to clean out, they seemed to poo more than the assumed cockerels :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 13:27 »
How old are the chicks now pepsi100, they might still be too young to be outside especially at this time of the year?  They are meant to be fully feathered before they are without a heatlamp.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 13:42 »
They have been off the heat lamp for over a week now

I am not sure exactly hhow old though, but they are all fully feathered (apart from one who has had the feathers plucked from her back)

But I have been out to them, they seem happy enough at the moment, just wandering and poking about, none are just standing there shivering

Just checked the temperature out there, not exactly sunbathing weather, but its 68-69 in the coop at the moment

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 13:45 »
I have read other members have lost young birds due to the cold so you are right to keep an eye on them.   ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 13:51 »
I have read other members have lost young birds due to the cold so you are right to keep an eye on them.   ;)

I can always put a lamp out there if they look in any distress, but they have just been huddling up together in the box or just sprawled out in the cockerels case, its the hens that have been the noisiest and pooiest (?)

wildwitchy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 16:44 »
And me, always raised mine in house. Just kept them in a clear plastic storage box (like a large incubator) next to the radiator. I'd let them out for a run round & they'd get very tame. Chix, ducklings, goslings, it was lovely. Even the dog used to help. She would put them in her fluffy tail to keep warm! We've got laminate floor so easy clean.

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 19:13 »
I have been out to check on them, they are all snuggled up together, they seemed rather annoyed I came in and disturbed them, I think they are warm enough though, its quite snug in there, its up to 75,

It is raining outside, but they are snug and dry :)

(which is warmer than my bedroom with the fresh air fiend I live with and likes the windows open) :( :( :( :( :( :(

pepsi100

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 00:06 »
Made my last visit tonight, they are happy, I went in with a red filter on my torch

(I didnt think they liked the light on, they didnt settle down, just sort of wandered about)

It never bothered them, a few clucks and that was it, they have split up 5 in a box and 6 in the nesting box (I dont think the others have found it yet)

There is plenty of sleet out there tonight, so it will be a chilly one (there was no mention of this in the weather forecast >:()

So I'll be up at dawn to see how they have got on with their first night out :(

Q, Is there anything I can put out there for a bit of stimulation for them ? ;)

(they have got to been bored stuck in a box for so long, apart from an hour or so of being let out, each day)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:32 »
be careful as there has been snow forecast  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:24 »
be careful as there has been snow forecast  :(

As I found out this morning, there was no mention of thart when I went on the Met Office website and checked >:( >:( >:(

But they have all survived their first night out there, al bright eyed and cheeping away :)

xx
Today is day 21

Started by krystal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 19:49
by krystal
xx
Just saw this in The Sun today...

Started by Snap Dragon on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 23:47
by spizanne
xx
Today is the day.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 23:26
by woodburner
xx
Hi, New today

Started by cheriton on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 09:10
by joyfull

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 37 queries.