flipping town councils..

• 11 Replies

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
flipping town councils..
« on: February 18, 2008, 19:48 »
I`m really peeved at the moment,,
i was given a nice t+g  shed on the weekend, only a year old in good condition,its 6.5ft x 6.5ft with a apex roof.
the town council who runs my lottie site wont give us permission for it as its to BIG :(  the maxium size they allow is 6x4, they charge an extra £2.50  per year for the privallage of having a shed (this is the reason for needing written permission so they know who to charge the extra)
i even offered to pay for the extra 2.5 ft but no chance.

what annoys me more is that i have been told that i can extened my gh if i want. its  a std 8x6 and i have been given another 8x6 and they have no problem with me adding it to mine making a 16x6 gh..

the reason is that gh`s are not classed as a structure..  :?
cant quite figure the difference myself
Sanity is just a playground for the un-imaginative

Only once the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish eaten will we realise that you cant eat money

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
flipping town councils..
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 20:01 »
:roll:  sound's like typical council rubbish to me, I know the wife used to work for one,   :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

matron

flipping town councils..
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 20:17 »
They have to feel that they have some control. Perhaps they think you may leave if they make it difficult and then they can build more substantial structures ie houses.  :!:  :!:

gobs

flipping town councils..
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:05 »
Isn't telling them it's the size they want going to work? Will someone measure?  :roll:  :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

compostqueen

flipping town councils..
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:59 »
ignore em  :!:

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
flipping town councils..
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 18:08 »
As my wife says "sized doesn't matter it's how you use it!!!"

Hence she only allowed me to have a small one, I'm hopeing it will get bigger next year, the greenhouse I mean! :?
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
flipping town councils..
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 18:42 »
i might just play them at thier own game and make a shed myself to the size they allow  6x4  but they dont stipulate how high so i think a ill make a 2nd floor to it.. :twisted: lol

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: flipping town councils..
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 20:40 »
Quote from: "welsh boyo"

what annoys me more is that i have been told that i can extened my gh if i want. its  a std 8x6 and i have been given another 8x6 and they have no problem with me adding it to mine making a 16x6 gh..

the reason is that gh`s are not classed as a structure..  :?
cant quite figure the difference myself

The Council nailed me 2 or 3 years ago over a steel container (typical shipping container, 26 foot x 8 foot, painted green and in good condition) that I sited at work.  I own the land and the workshop that's already on it, there is no public right of way (though kids and short-cut folk use it), it didn't block any road or impede any traffic whatsoever.  It was appropriately painted and actually sited on the far side of the land (from any neighbours) and I draped over it the branches of a huge weeping willow tree.

I ended up using it mainly for storing site tools (generator, digging gear etc) and lengths of decent timber and anything else stealable (so everything!) and yet under the feet in the workshop.  It was there for about a year without incident before a Council official (a woman) arrived (I had popped to the bank at the time and left a mate on the premises) and left a card and a message about Planning Permission.  ??  This was a Friday afternoon.

On the Monday morning I (reluctantly) telephoned her office to see what it was about.  She was 'out on site' I was told.  I tried later in the day - still out of the office.  I phoned again on the Tuesday - she was out again.  I didn't mind at all but knew it probably wouldn't go away.  On Wednesday she was 'off sick".  Same on the Thursday, and whoever I spoke to said maybe next Monday after all would now be the best bet.  I didn't ring on the Friday.

Next Monday she was back in - but out of the office!  I kid you not.  Unfortunately, on the Tuesday I spoke to her.  She had to remember, rummage about on her desk or whatever, and then tell me that I had not got Planning Permission for the container.  "But I didn't think you needed PP for a lock-up container, it's not a building, no foundations, can be moved and re-sited, no windows, no drains or water supply" I said.

"Oh" she said "they are classified as a building now".  "Now", I said, "does that mean they once weren't and when has that changed, and apart from which I've met and know one or two folk who have a container at home in the back garden or even backyard?"

She ignored much of the question and just said that whatever once was, now PP was needed as a container is now a building - albeit craftily described as a 'Temporary Building'.  And it was 110 quid to apply. And here's the one - because it's a temporary building, you can only have temporary permission.   And that she could tell me 'off the record' that I wouldn't get 3 or even 2 years permission.  Best to apply just for a year and see how it goes and if there are any objections.  From who?  What harm is it doing?  It's private land, it's my container, I've already paid for those.  Why do I have to pay for permission to own them?  What happens then after a year I asked.  Oh, you'll have to re-apply she says.  And pay again?  Oh yes, though maybe I'd get 2 or 3 years permission the 2nd application.  So, for a container I've bought and paid for, on land I own and pay rates for, to which there is no other right of access, I have to keep paying a charge every year or so, forever, just to be given permission of ownership.

Here's the the ultimate killer blow.  Because it's a building (even a temp one), it's also liable for business rates in it's own right.  So I'd be paying 2 taxes (just for the container) as well as the rates on the land in the first place.

I ended up ignoring, eventually being threatened with legal action and so eventually having to move it and do without.  Thanks a lot Council.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
flipping town councils..
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 21:19 »
B'ssd's ain't they, but I think I'd have stuck her out for a date in writing of when the change was implemented. Just to be bl@@dy awkward if nothing else  :lol:

muntjac

flipping town councils..
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21 »
id have taken em on in court ,,,,, but then im an evil ??????? :lol:
still alive /............

compostqueen

flipping town councils..
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:29 »
yeah so would I cos my guess is that they wouldn't actually go that far, or if they did, they'd be there to meet you when you got there, to talk you out of going in front of a magistrate.

Full of shoite they are

scentedstock

flipping town councils..
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 20:17 »
A wooden structure such as a shed is classed as a temporary structure and doesn't need planning permission - ask Tommy Walsh if you don't believe me. It was on his DVD.

xx
town council

Started by kenny199 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 01:32
by chrisnchris
xx
Been summoned to the town 'all.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 19:55
by Christo
clip
newbie in town

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 12, 2013, 22:01
by Yorkie
xx
councils help

Started by 02rlgudgin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 08:02
by shaun

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 28 queries.