Cover after weed killing

• 8 Replies

GED4le

Cover after weed killing
« on: May 23, 2023, 21:01 »
Hi, I have my new plot, best location on the allotment.

Covered in couch grass. Digging is not an option. Really as I have MS and will be too much.

I will strim it down, wait a few weeks, use glyphosate.

My question is….. after I use the weed killer can I cover straight away? ideally with manure so that in a month or so I can rotate it and have a bare weed free plot to work until I am Ready to plant.

Thanks all I knowing it seems like I’m trying for the easy options, I am just too get it too a starting point.
IMG_0192.jpeg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cover after weed killing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 21:09 »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new allotment, even if it is a bit challenging ... !

Glyphosate works by being absorbed through the leaves of the plant and taken down to the roots. This means that you need enough leaves to start with, and the plant needs to be in active growth, and so you shouldn't cover the grass as soon as you've applied the weedkiller. It should be one or the other.

You might want to use a cover after a few weeks, once the grass has gone yellowed or brown, to minimise growth from roots that weren't attached to grass that was killed.

If you do apply weedkiller, then don't do so if the grass has dew or water on it, or if it's due to rain in the next 6 hours, or if it's breezy / windy.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 21:10 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GED4le

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 21:24 »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new allotment, even if it is a bit challenging ... !

Glyphosate works by being absorbed through the leaves of the plant and taken down to the roots. This means that you need enough leaves to start with, and the plant needs to be in active growth, and so you shouldn't cover the grass as soon as you've applied the weedkiller. It should be one or the other.

You might want to use a cover after a few weeks, once the grass has gone yellowed or brown, to minimise growth from roots that weren't attached to grass that was killed.

If you do apply weedkiller, then don't do so if the grass has dew or water on it, or if it's due to rain in the next 6 hours, or if it's breezy / windy.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! That makes so much sense! I couldn’t find any info on if it would work but it makes so much sense, maybe it was too obvious 😂 luckily we seem to be in the least windy part of the country! Just need to sort the rain out!

I’m terrified of out getting on neighbouring plots. Luckily one side is neglected and I will use a tarp to protect the other when spraying just in case.

I’m very conscious that I will not be very popular, but hopefully when it’s clear everyone else will appreciate another well looked after plot 🤞

Looking forward to digging around the forum 🙄.

Thanks again.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 09:04 »
So admire you doing this with MS. When you spray keep the spray nozzle relatively near the ground to minimise drift and don't apply on a hot day as the air thermals can make it drift. Perhaps tell your plot neighbour what you're going to do then he may be able to provide cover and advice. I find that you still get weeds emerging and so you could do a spot weed killer attack by using a plastic milk bottle and cutting the bottom off, put it over the noxious weed then put the sprayer nozzle through the top and blast it. This will prevent any drifting onto nearby plants including your own. You could also do this if the weed is very close or amongst your plants, but first get a cane so you can fix the milk bottle over the weed to hold it on place, use your sprayer then leave the milk bottle where it is until weed death is obvious.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 12:19 »
I’m not a fan of weed killers but have used them in the past, but I’m sure your other plotters will be mightily relieved to see that neglected plot turned into a wonderful growing space. You’ve had lots of good advice already but I’d add,  if you rotovate at the prescribed time following weed death, level the ground & wait for weed growth to re-emerge then spray again. That way you will concentrate the weed killer to just this season & with your health condition give yourself the best chance of taming your plot and making it work for you.
The best piece of advice I ever read was to the 1st 15 minutes & last 15 minutes of each visit to the plot should be spent hoeing, or in my case swoeing (much better it cuts on the push & pull stroke). This works really well & when I follow that advice myself I have hardly any weeds.
And for those of my forum friends on here who are surprised to hear me say that as I garden as organically as possibly & follow a no dig principe where possible, sometimes needs must and if it keeps you gardening and out and about enjoying life, fill your boots :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 19:02 »
Congrats on the new allotment! You'll have it under control eventually!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 05:39 »
Congratulations on the plot!

As snowdrops said be aware that you may need several applications of weedkiller to fully get on top of the weeds. A new plot holder on our site (a retired horticulturist he proudly told me!) has carried out at least 2 applications and there is still a bit of couch coming back. But it's certainly been effective compared to the wilderness before.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 08:05 »
Following an earlier comment, weeds need leaves in order to absorb the glyphosate.  For grass and other weeds that grow back, don't use the strimmer before spraying again. Once you are sure the weeds are under control, you can cover (or dig for those that care to do so).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 22:21 »
If you are worried about spray drift, you could always use a watering can with a rose to apply the glyphosate. Much less chance of a any going astray.

xx
Truely efficient weed killing (ideas please?)

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 08:47
by Markw
xx
Ground cover weed prevention

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 18:40
by Aidy
xx
Courgettes and pumpkins as a weed suppresing cover

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 14:22
by woodburner
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 48 queries.