Creating our own apple trees

• 5 Replies

Pip Judgeford

Creating our own apple trees
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:21 »
Hi there,

Had a great day today running an apple grafting working bee.  Gathered scion wood 6 weeks ago and put it in the fridge, hit up a friend with contacts to source 35 apple root stock (MM106) and spent this morning with friends grafting the trees (saddle grafts) in a working bee production line, fortified by wicked chocolate cake and good coffee. (Someone grafted and taped them, someone else potted up, staked and labelled them).

The cost per tree, even figuring in potting mix and pots is about $NZ6 - a huge difference from $NZ25 or so commercially.  I would do this again.  Good fun and a great way to get apples.  I worked out our virtual orchard is about 1500-2000 kg of apples per year once the trees come on stream.  Here's hoping on the grafts taking.

10 different sorts of apple varieties, from heirloom types such as Merton Russet and Early Strawberry through to some recent NZ discoveries including Monty's Surprise which has been scientifically tested for various anti-cancer compounds and comes out tops. 

Would recommend doing this with friends or for a community garden, as a good way to get very cheap apple trees, or as a way to create apple trees for subsequent fund raisers.  :D

- Pip

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Creating our own apple trees
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:23 »
Most of us don't have the space to plant even one apple tree, in fact my tenancy agreement forbids it.  :(
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42 »
Well... this is where guerilla gardening comes in.  One of our apple grafting group is wanting to grow fruit trees to plant in various areas of unused land, to just get more fruit trees out there in the cityscape.  And I must admit, as a wait for the train in the morning I do eye up the adjacent strip of grass and start calculating how many fruit trees could be put on it. At 300 metres long and about 6 metres wide I'll bet it would make a serious contribution to the local fresh food supply.

On a more legit note, another of the group hit up their local fire brigade a couple of years ago about a sloping piece of land next to the fire station, in rough grass, and is growing on fruit trees to plant there. And their recent project has been a scrappy bit of council land running next to a public path, that the locals now have a a 2 year old mixed orchard on.  I think this site if now full (if everything survives), hence the chatting up of the firemen. :happy:

Or maybe urban NZ has truck loads more "spare" land than urban UK?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:50 »
New Zealand is 50%  the area of the UK,  but only 7% of the population.

Think that says it!

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58 »
How come you lot know more stats about NZ than we do? Cracks me up!

-Pip

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01 »
I have a friend that knows everything.

Mr. Google.

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple trees

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 20:56
by muntjac
xx
apple trees

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:29
by Kleftiwallah
xx
apple trees

Started by Redlichtie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 22:04
by Redlichtie

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 34 queries.