Weed control on my plot

• 27 Replies

jonreeks

Re: Weed control on my plot
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 14:49 »

trogg

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 17:03 »
I have no idea about the quality of it, but Screwfix does a roll which covers 100 sq metres for £37.42  http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63606/Landscaping-Outdoor/Landscape-Fabric-Covers/Fabrics/Apollo-Weed-Control-50g-Fabric-Roll-50m-x-2m

the B&Q one is only about 27 sq metres , so you would get about 4 times more with the stuff from Screwfix, for less than £14 more.

There is a chap down our allotments who has it (weed suppressant) on his allotment which seems to be good, next time I see him I'll ask where he go it.
boing boing

jonreeks

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 19:50 »
@trogg thanks!

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 10:39 »
Well, I was crossing my fingers in hope - but I got the letter from the committee yesterday  :(

They say they've had a complaint about the weeds on my plot. . . not sure if it's worth carrying on if it's going to be so hard to maintain

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 11:50 »
This makes me glad my plot is a friend's garden!  Don't let the b*** beat you! you can soon hoe the weeds off if nothing else, they won't grow much more this year now.

If you can find out who has complained would this help or is there a committee member you can have a quiet confidential word with?  Sounds like a pretty mean action to me!  Remember Yes you can! as Obama would say.
John

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 12:22 »
I reckon it's our "little hitler" of a site manager who's grassed on me but I won't bother to find out. I doubt it's any of the other plot holders, they all seem really nice.

Anyway, I've written back to the committee asking if there's anyone on the waiting list who would be willing to share half my plot/greenhouse/equipment etc...

At least some good might come out of the situation for someone else who has been waiting ;)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 13:28 »
i always get weeds growing amongst the veggies, so i just bend down and pull the lot out by hand. the soil is softish so they come out easily. some break at the stem but personally not too bothered about weeds, as it needs clearing on a yearly basis.

jonreeks

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 13:36 »
@potatogrower thanks

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 19:13 »
Well, I was crossing my fingers in hope - but I got the letter from the committee yesterday  :(

They say they've had a complaint about the weeds on my plot. . . not sure if it's worth carrying on if it's going to be so hard to maintain

I think they would have a fit if they saw my plot! Don't give up, if you can, roundup any groungd  that has no veg in it and leave it to kill the weeds, reapply next spring if necessary. Or if you don't want to use weedkiller have a look on free cycle for some old carpet (not foam backed) and lay it down to suppress them and leave it until you are ready to use it nest year.  for the ground you are using for veg just keep the hoe going over it, making sure the blade is sharpe as mentioned before. Once you get on top of it an hour or two a week will be enough to keep on top of them. 

Don't give up, and don't let it get you down, everyone gets weeds!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 10:46 »
Many allotment sites ban carpet these days.  It either disintegrates into pieces, or the weeds grow through it making it almost impossible to lift (one member here suffered a slipped disc or similar when trying to lift his carpet).  There are also chemicals in the carpets which can be released as toxins into the soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 13:48 »

My advice is to weed it by hand. No weedkillers for me, do a rough "big weeds" cull often - get all of the roots from docks, dandelions etc. , then get down amongst the littler ones, and after a bit you'll be on top of it.

I love the weeding, find it very satisying to see the difference that it makes...I hardly ever hoe (sometimes between onions/leeks) , I prefer to use a hand fork and dibble out all of the roots, find it keeps em from coming back.

You seem unlikely with the committee at your site. We have the opposite problem in that there are several plots way, way worse than yours, and 300 people on the waiting list, and the council does nothing...v frustrating.

Little and ofeetn will sort you weeds, cover in the winter with black cloth-type sheeting, easy job left come spring!!

Don't give up, keep a full plot, I work full time too, but am close to my plot, and pretty keen too!!

Phill  :) :)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 08:31 »
I love the weeding, find it very satisying to see the difference that it makes...I

i love the look as well. looks nice and clean. i can see the odd weed popping up on the parts i cleans so i quickly bring out the big fork and pull it out. i also guess yearly deweeding keeps the soil roughly rotivated.

fatbelly

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 09:48 »
Quote from: peter j link=topic=63900.msg 733993#msg 733993 date=1282734490
frosts are not too far away now ,

Just ruined my day you have.  :(
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
weed control

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 16:51
by Jeanieblue
xx
Weed Control

Started by spudkins on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 22:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 06:39
by Fisherman
xx
Weed control

Started by Rincon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 18:38
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.