what should i do with my raspberry canes???

• 24 Replies

greenbean

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 13:57 »
:lol: Noshed I'm flattered u'v read my post, I did laught. This site is such fun.

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 14:24 »
hmmmm? this hasnt helped me....
Heres my problem...
We moved into this new house (january) and i have inherited a large veg plot....the patch had some 8 or 9 existing raspberry canes crudely tied into some post and wires...i moved these and heeled them in temporarily until i decide where i want them permanently,
Then a month after moving in ( feb) a college friend who looks after a walled kitchen garden for a rich family gave me a further 12 or so canes that he had removed from the family raspberry patch which was overcrowded, I heeled these in next to my other canes....

Im now looking to move them this weekend to the new position...problem is i dont know if either lots of canes are summer or autumn ones and as they all currently stand at about 3 or 4ft high am i supposed to just move them or move them and chop them all to ground level? My problem is that ALL of the canes (mine and the donated ones) have little green shoots appearing all over them? I dont know what to do?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 15:24 »
Quote from: "Dan"
hmmmm? this hasnt helped me....
Heres my problem...
We moved into this new house (january) and i have inherited a large veg plot....the patch had some 8 or 9 existing raspberry canes crudely tied into some post and wires...i moved these and heeled them in temporarily until i decide where i want them permanently,
Then a month after moving in ( feb) a college friend who looks after a walled kitchen garden for a rich family gave me a further 12 or so canes that he had removed from the family raspberry patch which was overcrowded, I heeled these in next to my other canes....

Im now looking to move them this weekend to the new position...problem is i dont know if either lots of canes are summer or autumn ones and as they all currently stand at about 3 or 4ft high am i supposed to just move them or move them and chop them all to ground level? My problem is that ALL of the canes (mine and the donated ones) have little green shoots appearing all over them? I dont know what to do?

If the canes are now sprouting - pound to a penny they are summer fruiting ones. I have both and the autumn variety are only just poping their heads through the soil. Therefore......if there's life - don't chop them back, you should have fruit on them this year as it looks as though this was last year's new growth. (In my opinion!!!)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 15:26 »
Thanks Dave
This is what i was hoping and it felt odd to chop them when they are showing signs of fresh growth.
i shall just move them this weekend and leave them and see what happens this year i think?
Thanks for the advice.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 15:35 »
Quote from: "Dan"
Thanks Dave
This is what i was hoping and it felt odd to chop them when they are showing signs of fresh growth.
i shall just move them this weekend and leave them and see what happens this year i think?
Thanks for the advice.

You could do a lot worse than that!!

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 16:49 »
Know this sounds too simplistic, Dan, but could you simply ask your friend, obviously knowledgeable, which sort he gave you?
Otherwise, it sounds to me like you've got summer ones. I don't touch mine except to trim off dead end bits or ones growing where I don't want them. Otherwise, don't trim off growing end bits - that's where most of the fruit will be. Make sure the new permanent spot is well fed with old manure and compost. Like I've said before, you get what you give with plants.  :wink:

Mysteryjimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 20:10 »
My autumn ones are sprouting new leaves.   :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 20:17 »
Quote from: "Mysteryjimbo"
My autumn ones are sprouting new leaves.   :?

So are mine and so they should be!!

muntjac

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 20:27 »
leave em to grow and then when they fruit tye a piece white tape around the first ones .these will be sumer ones /red for the autumn ones .then transplant the red taped ones to another bed and wire train em when they come back. no mucking about with anymore
still alive /............

greenbean

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 21:46 »
Hi all, Just to let you know,this Sunday I cut down the canes to about 5 inches weeded around the bottom and added some manure to the ground.

Thank-you all for your advice and help, speak soon.

xx
RaspBerry Canes

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 19:27
by lfcevans
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 11:59
by brianc
xx
new raspberry canes

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 18:23
by cooperman
xx
where to buy raspberry canes

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:09
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 31 queries.