Plastic Coops

• 27 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Plastic Coops
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 22:06 »
You sound as if you speak from experience tomshooter.  

Have you had a bad infestation or water ingress with an eglu ?

No -  I thought not  ::)

PaulineM

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 22:18 »
OMG
I have just looked at the link orchardlady put on  :ohmy:
I thought the whole point of investing sooo much money on a plastic coop was because they were mite proof or at least resistant  :nowink:
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 22:22 »
That topic is 18 months old and the other side of the problem has been given.  They do try to sort out problems and had redesigned the cube to improve it.

It's like all news topics people love to shout about bad news but good news is never reported.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50719&start=60#p764426

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 08:18 »
 :ohmy:
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

Dominic

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 15:23 »
I've got the Eglu Go.
I'm a little bit disappointed to be honest, the outer side panels should be held on by 2 screws each, I was missing two screws, so they're held on by 1 screw each.
The second screw holder snapped on both sides as well.

But apart from that minor niggle, does exactly what it says on the tin, awesome for £220

"But for some, it's just not a viable option to spend £400 on a chicken coop. There's got to be cheaper alternatives that offer the same plus points?"
The eglus arent that expensive, its the run thats the killer.
find a nearby woodyard, order eighteen 2x2 inch pieces of pressure treated timber that are 1m long, another twelve that are 2.4m and some weldmesh, you can make a 12sqm run for £100-£120, plus £200-220 for eglu.

I was constantly asking myself, is it really worth it.
For me, it is, cleaning it involves the jet setting on the hosepipe, and thats it.
No painting it, no worry about rot, no worry about cleaning it and it not drying in time.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

neenyneen

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 17:20 »
I've seen a childs plastic wendy house...rigid plastic Little Tykes type, not poles and flimsy plastic type!....converted into a coop, looked really good and was really weather proof. Might look into doing it for my girls when they are due an upgrade. You can get them 2nd hand off ebay for £20-£50, few quid to convert it and you're sorted...for a fraction of the price of an eglu!

you don't happen to have a piccy of this do you? would love to see it (and possibly steal the idea!)  :tongue2:
love my chickens me! :-)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 18:49 »
I have two eglu classics - one is a blue chicken version and one is a red rabbit version (not for rabbits but to use as a broody coop - cheaper second hand on ebay than the chicken version) and also two solway arks and can't fault either. The eglus suit a garden situation and the big solway ark are more for a rural setting  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 20:13 »
I've seen a childs plastic wendy house...rigid plastic Little Tykes type, not poles and flimsy plastic type!....converted into a coop, looked really good and was really weather proof. Might look into doing it for my girls when they are due an upgrade. You can get them 2nd hand off ebay for £20-£50, few quid to convert it and you're sorted...for a fraction of the price of an eglu!

you don't happen to have a piccy of this do you? would love to see it (and possibly steal the idea!)  :tongue2:

I'll ask my dad to get a photo and send it to me :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 22:56 »
I have to say I was really keen on an eglu, until I went on a poultry course, compared to other plastic coops I thought it was the lesser in quality though some aspects were quite good. I like the Solway ark but have started with a traditional wooden coop - with the possibility of upgrading in the future

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 23:07 »
Eglus were a definite no no to me until I borrowed Joyfull's blue one.  If I only had 3 chickens, I'd invest in an eglu.

I hate red mite and I hate having to paint the blooming henhouses with preservative every couple of years! and I hate cleaning them out and I hate......   won't go into that bit!   :lol:

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 23:19 »
I have a go, and there are a couple of things I don't like about it, but there are many I do. And more importantly my chickens are very happy in it.

There is £50 off at the moment if you show a picture of your old wooden one your cbanging from and so I only paid £290. If I didn't have the run it would have been under £200.

Can't complain.
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 11:07 »
Ok.  Have parted with the best part of 700 english pounds and invested in a shiny purple Eglu Cube!  The things we do for our girls eh!
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 13:04 »
 :D They are very lucky. I'll get a cube next and keep the Go for chicks and things.

xx
Plastic Coops??

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 21:27
by Abacus
xx
plastic coops?

Started by welshdigger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2021, 17:05
by joyfull
xx
coops??

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 07:28
by NigelB
xx
2 coops in 1 pen

Started by Mountain Man on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 11:13
by Bodger

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.