Rhubarb and ginger preserve

• 21 Replies

Oscar Too

« on: May 01, 2007, 14:50 »
Just made some lovely rhubarb and ginger preserve.  Used the inherited rhubarb on the plot, 1/4 bottle of Belvoir's ginger cordial and a pound of sugar.

It's not jam, it's what the Russians call varenie - not set and with less sugar.  Lovely with yoghurt and ice-cream.

Seems a bit early for preserving, but we'll be glad of those later.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 15:05 »
Preserve, or conserve?  What's the difference?   My 2003 rhubarb and ginger jam turned out like that, didn't matter what I did, it wouldn't set, but I'm still using it, 2 more jars to go and it also it lovely with ice cream or greek style yoghurt

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 17:53 »
Ooooh rhubarb and ginger, made for each other.

RECIPE PLEASE
Cheese makes everything better.

jo.power

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 19:44 »
Rhubarb and ginger lovely would love the recipe myself please.  If your jam, conserve or perserve doesn't set try using a bit of lemon and the pips in a little muslin bag there is something in the pips that aids setting. :)

Oscar Too

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 14:39 »
Recipe made 5 jars: kilo of rhubarb, roughly chopped, 500 grams of sugar, 1/4 bottle of Belvoir ginger cordial (from Sainsburys - just sugar and ginger, really).

Cook together until the rhubarb has disintegrated, remove foam/scum from surface, rolling boil for about 5 minutes, ladle into sterilised jars.

I'm not interesting in getting things to set, I much prefer varenie - you get the flavour and consistency of the fruit without swamping it with too much sugar.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 23:34 »
My recipe for rhubarb and ginger jam is:

Makes about 2kgs

1.1kg rhubarb, trimmed and chopped, (prepared weight)
1.1kg sugar
juice of 2 lemons
25g fresh root ginger
100g preserved or crystallised ginger chopped

Put the rhubarb in a large bowl in alternate layers with the sugar and lemon juice.  Cover adn leave overnight.

Next day crush or bruise the root ginger slightly with a weight or rolling pin and tie in a piece of muslin.

Put the rhubarb misture in a preserving pan with the muslin bag, bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 15 minutes.  Remove the muslin bag, add the preserved or crystallised ginger and boil for another 5 mins, or until setting point is reached.

Remove any scum with a slotted spoon, the pot and cover in the usual way.

Mind you, looking at your recipe Oscar Too, it looks really simple, I'll try that one next!!!!

leeky

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:05 »
im going to tell the mrs about these. rhubarb and ginger just sounds soooooooooooo nice! thanks

leeky

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 22:31 »
pulled the first rhubarb for a pie today. some stem ginger.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 23:22 »
Was in the garden yesterday, when I saw our new next door neighbour for the first time.  We had a little chat, then he said would you like some rhubarb?  Well my rhubarb is doing okay for its 2nd year, and the bit that grows wild down the drain at the back isn't as good as it used to be, but theirs is HUGE!!!!!!!  And they don't like it!!!  so he gave me 12lbs and said I can help myself whenever I want any.

I don't want to be greedy though as I know they have given some to friends as well.  But there is so much you can do with it isn't there??

Mind you, they are not gardeners either.  Only been in the bungalow since 25 March so they don't really know what's in the front garden, but he's just strimmed down the whole front border which is about 4ft wide and is full of colour in the summer!!!!  I wish I'd known what he was going to do, I'd have asked him if I could dig up a few things.  Still, can't say much can I?  he gave me some rhubarb!!!   :D  :D

Garfield

What about flavour?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 21:32 »
Hi. Was planning on making some rhubarb and ginger preserve but my preserving book says that it should'nt be made with spring rhubarb as it wont have a great deal of flavour. It says you should wait until later in year. What do you all think about this. Dont have any rhubarb growing myself but my local farm has loads for sale.
julieb

WG.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 21:34 »
Hi julieb, I reckon you'd be fine since it is nearly end of May now.

Garfield

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 23:42 »
Hi
Many thanks. Will give it a go then. Local farm selling loads of rhubarb really cheap and it seems such a shame to miss it. Love rhubarb jam

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 12:42 »
Any more good rhubarb recipes out there - it's the only thing growing (and boy, it's growing!) on my newly-inherited and overgrown plot.

I've had so many rhubarb crumbles (btw, adding in a couple of pears really beefs up a rhubarb crumble) and given loads away - and the freezer's filling up!
Veg? That's chips, innit?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 14:08 »
Rhubarb wine Smudgeboy!!!!!!!! that'll use it up!!!!

Oscar Too

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 16:45 »
I've just amended this recipe to include chili!   Seemed like a good idea at the time - half of a de-seeded birds-eye chili in each pot as I ladle the hot preserve in.

I haven't tasted it yet - I'll report back in due course...

xx
Rhubarb & Ginger Chutney

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 20:45
by Markw
xx
Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

Started by digital_biscuit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 16:23
by Poolfield2
xx
Rhubarb and Ginger chutney

Started by Patricia on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 21:08
by Patricia
xx
Recipe for Rhubarb Date & Ginger Chutney

Started by katiemax on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 17:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 32 queries.