Fluffy dahlia tubers - please help!

• 9 Replies

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
Fluffy dahlia tubers - please help!
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:08 »
Back in the late autumn I dug up my dahlia tubers, left them to dry for a couple of weeks and packed them in boxes of peat – as recommended here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25370.0

I've just been down to check them and they've got fluffy mould on them  :( Can anybody say if they'll still be OK to plant up this year or would I be better off quickly ordering some new tubers? Here are some pics to show the level of fluffiness and the boxes I stored them in. I left the lids ajar on the boxes as they were plastic. They've been in my shed.

Yabba

Re: Fluffy dahlia tubers - please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 16:56 »
If it was me I'd remove the lids completely, we just throw ours in a frost free garage under a bench ;)

Your tubers *should* be ok, but instead of planting them, wait until it's warm enough, slap them in a tray, roughly cover with soil and water them. When they sprout take cuttings and pot them on. When you take cuttings, cut them directly below a leaf joint & remove the lowest leaves.

¥

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 17:20 »
Thanks Yabba! I won't chuck them all yet then! I was planning on potting them up first anyway as that's what I did last year and it seemed to work well. I haven't tried the dark art of taking cuttings yet  ??? I'll give it a go though!

Yabba

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 17:26 »
It's not such a dark art, although you do have to prove to the men in white coats that yer allowed summat sharper than a crayon ;)

If you get panicy and want some more tubers then just pm me ;)

¥

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 00:43 »
Didn't know you were supposed to over winter them I left mine infor the last three years before I found out.  But they are fine.  Maybe being south helps.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:45 »
Put a few drops of bleach into a litre of water and dip the tubers in and out several times. This should help kill the mold and not harm the tubers. Definitely do not cover them in plastic or sealed boxes as they need to breathe to avoid mold.
As suggested, you can pot the tubers after the bleach/water dip and see if they'll come back. I'm sure they will as the rootlets look 'juicy' which is a good sign.
When they do sprout, keep them in a sunny but slightly cooler (not cold) area so that growth is slow until you feel its time to get them growing for the garden. Spritzing the soil surface of pots with cooled chamomile tea will take care of any possible surface fungus problems.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 16:39 »
Sorry to hijack the topic, but I hadn't heard of the chamomile tea trick Trillium - does it control any other than soil surface fungi?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 16:46 »
Didn't know you were supposed to over winter them I left mine infor the last three years before I found out.  But they are fine.  Maybe being south helps.

I've been doing the same but i think we may have lost them this year :(

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:53 »
Greengirl, I'm not sure if the tea does anything else besides eliminate fungi. Humans consume it as a relaxant and anti-inflammatory, which is probably why it's a great 'fungicide'. If you wish to make some, use hot water, not boiling, to a chamomile tea bag in a teapot and let steep until cool. Remove the bag and you can either use it straight or dilute it somewhat, about half I was told when I first heard of it a few years ago. Since it's not a specific science, you'll have to test what strength works best for you as the pot size will vary from mine, water type might also be a variable.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 16:33 »
Thanks Trillium, I'll give it a go when I water my toilet roll plant pots as I always get fungus growth on them.

xx
Dahlia Tubers.

Started by Plot 6B on General Gardening

21 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 03:26
by Trillium
xx
Dahlia Tubers

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 16:24
by muckyboots
clip
Dahlia Tubers

Started by Geordie on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2024, 19:47
by mumofstig
xx
Dahlia's from Tubers

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 09:12
by David.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 33 queries.