Advice on Greenhouse

• 6 Replies

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Advice on Greenhouse
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:30 »
I have just picked up my greenhouse this weekend, took it home and decided where to put it. Then that got me thinking what floor to use?  :roll:
 My In-laws have a slab base, My uncle has a soil floor with a slab path running up the centre, the man I brought it off just had a soil floor, and ive heard of gravel floors. Now I havnt a clue what to use. Any ideas and what are the benifits of the different types of flooring?
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice on Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 13:16 »
Ive had a narrow slab path in the middle of the one i had, and have the same in my poly tunnel. I think this prob gives max growing space but it depends what you intend to grow. I put toms and cucumbers in mine and i think the path in the middle it fine.

Chappers
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 21:43 »
On soil you can grow direct into the beds, but you'll get soil-sickness if you grow the same crops year after year.  Slabs are easier to keep clean (although I'd go for poured concrete or if I had money to spare a metal base), and won't harbour disease spores in the same way.  Gravel on top of a solid base makes it easy to damp-down, and deep gravel will work as a storage heater.  Whatever you choose, make sure it's flat and level, and you secure the greenhouse really well against the wind!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 22:52 »
I prefer soil beds, I've had both and always done better with the soil beds, the one I have now has both as it has to stand on part of the old garage base, I have a gravel path it looks nice  :blush:
DSC00021 (600 x 450).jpg
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 19:33 »
my smallest has just a couple of steps down and then raised beds each sied and across end so you stand in a small pit in effect with beds at knee height all round, my big greenhouse is half soil beds (rotate crops with small greenhouse) and half paved which then has staging and propagator or grow bags and pots on. My new polytunnel is not quite finished yet but will have path up middle and beds each side.
R

pushrod

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 00:07 »
I would put it on one or two layers of blue bricks to give it some extra height .
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 19:04 »
MIne in the garden is on two layers of levelled bricks, bolted down to the top layer. Makes it a bit higher inside. Have two raised beds along the lenght and a kind if T shaped path made of slabs, have had it for 22 years like this BUT every third year I take out about nine inches of soil from th ebds and replace with compsot or topsoil/compost mixed. Forgot to do this one year and the soil was alomost like dust with no guts at all so grew towm in grow bags that year.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
New Greenhouse

Started by JamesD on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 15:18
by thebear
xx
Greenhouse

Started by MrsPea on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post October 15, 2023, 15:16
by MrsPea
xx
Where to get a greenhouse

Started by Peggy Sue on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 23:52
by pushrod
xx
Greenhouse

Started by visionwf on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 18:05
by Kristen

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 32 queries.