Mass breakout attempt from Stalag 46

• 6 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Mass breakout attempt from Stalag 46
« on: January 18, 2009, 20:55 »
Help:-

for the last 3 weeks when I've checked my wormery, there are 3 or 4 adult tiger worms and about a dozen babies, all trying to escape. :shock:
I've emptied the sump, added lime & shredded newspaper. The bin doesn't smell, it's in the garage out of the cold, I feed them once a week, had it for 11 months, it's very heavy for its size - it's a basic wheelie bin type wormery with a drainage tap, and one separator above the sump.
There appear to be quite a few worms in it, but I've been disappointed there's very little wormcast.

- what more can i do?

Ta,
JMW

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Mass breakout attempt from Stalag 46
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:01 »
Don't really know, I have a very similar problem with my wormery. Find that it takes a really, really long time to get any compost and it sometimes gets quite wet and waterlogged. I keep persisting with it due to it's big capacity but also have one of the "Can-of-worms" ones which has circular stacking trays and in my opinion is loads better. Drains much better, the worms seem happier and not trying to escape and it is easy to empty the wormcast from the bottom tray when done without having to empty the whole thing. Only downside is that the capacity is not as good.

To be honest I am thinking of getting rid of the wheelie bin one and just getting more trays for the Can-of-worms.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 16:46 »
I started up a wormery in a bokashi bin last year, with worms from a compost bin. I started it for the sake of worms for the chooks rather than the compost, as I get quite a bit of composting stuff from the chooks. After a couple of weeks I gave up on 'only adding a little at a time'; they get about an inch of peelings a week and seem to be thriving on it. It is filling up slowly, lots of 'wee'; I figure this is normal as plant material is over 90% water, and the only woody material is cardboard/paper, and I haven't given them much of that.
The only thing that is worrying me at all about them is that they seem bigger and plainer than the ones, that I put in, and I'm wondering if I'm keeeping it too wet for the stripey ones, and these are 'the other sort' (eisinia foetidia?), though I suppose if they are doing well and doing the job as it were, it doesn't really matter.  ???
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Frecks

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 16:41 »
Your post brought back memories.    My worms broke out from their packaging in the local post office before the postie set out on her round.  I got a semi-hysterical SOS - 'please come and get them, they're wriggling all over the counter!'  As it was a very small village, I became known to the entire population as 'the mad  Sassanach woman who buys worms'  The survivors stayed put once I'd got them home though.

Poolfield2

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 21:29 »
 :D :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 22:11 »
If it's dark in the garage then that will encourage them to escape, they can't abide light.
Worm breeders keep lights on above their breeding pens to stop escapee's  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 23:35 »
If it's dark in the garage then that will encourage them to escape, they can't abide light.
Worm breeders keep lights on above their breeding pens to stop escapee's  ;)
Thanks for that tip. As I'm soon to transfer them to larger less escape proof quarters, it's good to know they can be 'restrained'.  :D

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 32 queries.