First snowdrops

• 13 Replies

happy chick

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« on: January 01, 2009, 21:53 »
When do snowdrops normally put in their appearance?  I'm confused as to timings because the last couple of winters have been so mild here in the west country and i remember seeing them last year in early December.  A friend very kindly divided and gave us some of hers last year and they flowered well before dying off.  Maybe I'm being a bit premature but I'm anxious because as of yet there's no sign of them.  They are on the North border of our garden and like the rest of the country it's been very cold here in the west.  

Am I being over anxious or should I be seeing signs of them poking through now?  Has anyone else got snowdrops gracing their gardens yet?  Or is it a case of nodrops all round (sorry - couldn't resist!)??
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
First snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 22:32 »
The change in dates of appearance is because the snowdrops react to the prevailing weather/temperature.

They will show up when they think it's the right time :lol:

Salmo

First snowdrops
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:27 »
I have some outside my back door which always come early. I can just see the first shoots coming up.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 13:09 »
Thanks for the replies  :D   I've just googled some sites and they all seem to say that the timing is down to type and variety as well as weather so I'll ask my friend whether hers are up and if they are then I'll start to worry!!  :lol:  :roll:

DIGGER

First snowdrops
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 19:04 »
We usually manage a snowdrop walk in Feb

happy chick

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 19:37 »
That sounds lovely Digger.  My OH's birthday is on Feb 16 so i've told him that we're visiting this place to see the extravaganza on the 15th  :D

http://www.healegarden.co.uk/

Hopefully we'll make it when the time comes and take lots of piccies for DD's places to visit topic.  Be cool if anyone else could make it as well!

DIGGER

First snowdrops
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 20:50 »
Quote from: "happy chick"
That sounds lovely Digger.  My OH's birthday is on Feb 16 so i've told him that we're visiting this place to see the extravaganza on the 15th  :D

http://www.healegarden.co.uk/

Hopefully we'll make it when the time comes and take lots of piccies for DD's places to visit topic.  Be cool if anyone else could make it as well!

That looks nice,sometimes we make a couple of days out of it with an overnight stay,so i will keep a note of it.
If i go on the 15th,i will be the one causing havoc.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 21:06 »
If you do go you and Mrs Digger are very welcome to stop by for the tea and cakes I offered last year!!! Although we're about 40mins from Heale's so that might be too much travelling in one trip.  You're always welcome to come and cause havoc in my neck of the woods, Diggy! Heaven knows we could do with some excitement around here  :roll:

DIGGER

First snowdrops
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 21:17 »
Well you never know.
Last year we went  www.cotonmanor.co.uk
prev year we went  www.snowdrops.co.uk

happy chick

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 21:28 »
If you had to pick one which would you say was better? From the websites the cotonmanor one looks lovely.  Would your memory allow you to write either of them up in DD's places to visit topics; or still got any piccies of them?? Nowt like pressure is there  :lol: :lol:  !!! (sorry  :oops: )

DIGGER

First snowdrops
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 21:35 »
No could not pick,they were both nice in differing ways. I think Coton manor has more all year round aspects though ,

happy chick

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 21:38 »
Thanks for the links Digger; looking forward to the upcoming family days out  :D

Faz

• Experienced Member
First snowdrops
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:39 »
Our snowdrops are already showing through, and some have little buds on. I think the recent cold spell will have stopped them in their tracks for a little while though, so I wouldn't expect any flowers just yet.

Our daffs are showing through too, but they will be quite a bit later. I love it when the bulbs are flowering, then I know it is spring t last :)

Salmo

First snowdrops
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 09:54 »
Coton Manor also has a bluebell wood which is wonderful in April.

Anglesey Abbey between Cambridge and Newmarket is another place to go to see snowdrops.

xx
Snowdrops

Started by jezza on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2013, 22:24
by Mrs Bee
xx
Snowdrops

Started by sloegin on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 17:04
by arugula
xx
snowdrops

Started by jezza on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 13:08
by Dilly Dom
xx
Other snowdrops

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 11:04
by Scribbler

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.