Dendrobian Orchid

• 8 Replies

spottymint

Dendrobian Orchid
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:47 »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on my orchid.

I have a Dendrobian orchid (phalenopsis type), it is growing inside on a windowsill (in a shower room, so humid, disstorted glass), it gets sun late afternoon/evening after about 5pm (not sure of the aspect).

I have had it about a year and it has just started to flower for the 2nd time ( 2 Stems), but the leaves have what look like little scorch marks (leaves have brown crispy lines, the plump leaf becoming thin where the marks are).

I haven't dropped any water on the leaves, although I may have overwatered them. They have not been re-potted either.

The 2nd problem is the new shoots growing seem to turn yellow and die when they are about an inch high.

I have fed them with self feeding orchid drips and tried a little yellow tub of orchid feed.

Do Orchids like wet or dry conditions ?

Any ideas or advice greatly sought and is the Orchid Expert book any good ?

Many thanks.   :D

agapanthus

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 13:40 »
Try this link....they will probably know....

http://www.ukorchidforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4172

spottymint

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 20:06 »
Hi

Many thanks, will try that link, didn't think to try looking up an orchid forum.

Need to wait for my new batteries to arrive (can take a picture then ) and post, many thanks.   :D

SG6

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 21:00 »
Better identify the orchid first, dendrobian's are one species,  phalenopsis  are another. Dendrobians need winter rest, phalenopsis don't.

Looked up phalenopsis and problem may be too much light. However causes of problems range from too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry, too bright and too dark.  :shock:

The seem to prefer being a bit tight in pots but as you mention you may have overwatered. The dying off of new leaves is indicitive of overwatering I have found on mine. Many are grown in baskets.

What colour are the leaves? If dark green then too little light if palegreen/yellowish too much light. Too much light also causes brown patches.

spottymint

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 20:26 »
Hi

It is a Dendrobian deffinatly, the 'phaelenopsis' type reffers to the fact that my hybrid produces a single flower spike like the 'Phaelenopsis' orchid and not the other type of Dendrobian 'Nobile' hybrids which produce flowers in their leaf axils.

I went to work and took a crafty read of the orchid book and yes the sunlight is to blame for the marks on the leaves.

I have heard it said they need a winter rest, sadly mine didn't get that and it has produced not one but two flower spikes this year.

By the way I would never reccomend the UK Orchid Forum mentioned above due to one thing, YOU CANNOT REGISTER !!

They have banned most web services, so if you don't have THE CORRECT EMAIL SERVER/EMAIL ADDRESS, THEY DON'T WANT YOU ON THEIR SITE !!

So if you have a Yahoo email address, forget it !

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 22:24 »
Orchids are popular as house plants now but it is for sure that many of those sold by the garden centres are not suitable. The phalaenopsis hybrids (and only the hybrids) are pretty good but growing most other orchid genuses is no easier than it ever was. Even if you know that your plant is a dendrobium, this is not sufficient information to make a definite statement about the right culture because different species and different genetic crosses can need very different conditions. However, most dendrobiums are either 'thermophilic' or 'intermediate' i.e. need high temperature and humidity but no orchid likes high humidity if the temperature is low.

If you want orchids in the house, I advise that you stick to the phalaenopsis hybrids. Water them when they are dry by dunking the pot in tepid rain water, then drain all the excess water. I cut an extra hole in the bottom of the side of the pot to tip the water out. Keep them out of direct sunlight but always give them the longest hours of daylight that are available.

agapanthus

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 23:52 »
Quote from: "spottymint"

By the way I would never reccomend the UK Orchid Forum mentioned above due to one thing, YOU CANNOT REGISTER !!

They have banned most web services, so if you don't have THE CORRECT EMAIL SERVER/EMAIL ADDRESS, THEY DON'T WANT YOU ON THEIR SITE !!

Had the same problem with Practical Poultry :twisted:  :twisted: ....makes you feel like a second class citizen :(

Lemon

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 21:45 »
I know what you mean agapanthus....(about PP) luckily hubby has a tiscali e-mail (as we are with tiscali for internet).  I tend to find myself on this forum more often though I'm registered for PP too!
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

Rob-Rah

Dendrobian Orchid
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 14:21 »
Quote from: "spottymint"
Hi

Hi. Forgive me for intruding. I thought I had better correct this very wrong claim. The UK Orchid Forum has never banned any of the major web-based email addresses at all. A list of well-known spamming email accounts have been blocked, none of which are commonly used, and most of which operate out of obscure sites known very widely as spam-originators. None of the normal web-based email address providers have ever been blocked there. And certainly not Yahoo (or hotmail, etc.) :!:

If you have problems registering there, and still would like to, please don't hesitate to contact me on admin@ukorchidforum.com.

With all my best wishes.
Rob.

The UK Orchid Forum - including resources for the EU

xx
Orchid

Started by jamima on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 13:49
by Mrs Bee
xx
Orchid

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2022, 02:50
by Subversive_plot
xx
HELP with orchid

Started by muntjac on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 19:09
by agapanthus
xx
orchid

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 20:59
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 36 queries.