propagator in the greenhouse

• 6 Replies

green jack

propagator in the greenhouse
« on: March 11, 2013, 19:40 »
we have a greenhouse on the plot and we have just put some seeds in a propagator in it, with the cold weather and frost is it a good idea to put newspaper over the compost and seeds inside the propagator? as we are new to this any advise would be good, thanks jack

green jack

Re: propagator in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 22:31 »
is this in the correct section  :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:10 »
It is, what may not help with lack of answers, is the lack of information.

We don't know what seeds you're talking about, that can make a heck of a lot of difference to their requirements and "propagator" itself is a very broad heading.

I'm going to assume for now that as it's on your plot, it's not a heated one.

An unheated greenhouse will slow down the overnight heat loss and a propagator will assist in this slowing, however, eventually not matter how many layers of insulation you provide, the temperature will always approach ambient.

Even if it remains a couple of degrees above, the current temperatures we're getting will mean that the compost will freeze and that's obviously not good!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

green jack

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 20:58 »
thanks for your reply DD and as you can guess i'm new and haven't a clue at the moment so i shall start again and sorry for the tongue gesture.
at the moment i have a greenhouse on the plot and i have a non heated propagator with 2 vents on the lid that are closed, the propagator is roughly about 12x6 in inches maybe a tad bigger without putting a tape on it, i have planted some sprout and cabbage seeds in it,
so i was wondering if it would be beneficial in this cold weather we are having at the moment to put news paper over the compost and the seeds and then put the lid back over the propagator thanks again, jack   

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 21:05 »
Jack,

Depending on what you are trying to grow, most seeds need light to germinate, so covering the soil with newspaper is probably not a great idea.

Cabbage and sprout seeds won't be harmed by the cold.  You just need to sit tight and wait for them to germinate when things warm up a little. 

If you want to grow other things that might be harmed by a cold environment, why not try to get hold of some bubble wrap to put over your propagator lids if you want to try to maintain some warmth?  You can even build a bubble wrap tent and put a cheap paraffin coldframe heater into it to produce a warmer environment.  Remember to remove the bubble wrap when things heat up else things will cook.

Freecycle/freegle appeals for bubble wrap can work.  Alternatively, discount shops like Poundland often have largish rolls for little £.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 21:10 »
Hi Jack - don't worry about the tongue emoticon - we used to have a worse one.

You should get away with it, having had a look at your local forecast. All the insulation in the world won't help if the temperatures are persistently below zero, but this won't be the case.

What you have sown don't need molly-coddlying, leave them in the propagator BUT - the lid needs to come off as soon as they germinate, then keep your fingers crossed!

green jack

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 21:12 »
thanks you 2 thats very helpful cheers

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.