New allotment in a field

• 6 Replies

KayA

New allotment in a field
« on: April 14, 2021, 20:24 »
We have today been confirmed as allotment owners.  It is currently just a lumpy field.  Should we remove the top layer as turf with a spade or could we put cardboard and compost directly onto the grass and hope for the best?  We plan to work on one small area at a time so are prepared to try anything. Many thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment in a field
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 20:43 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new field allotment  :D

I'm going to pop your question over to the Grow Your Own forum, where you will receive answers on both sides of your question.  There is always more than one way to do something!!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 06:16 »
I am currently doing the cardboard and compost option in 3 raised beds.  I feel that it will give better weed control than just placing compost on top of the weeds/grass.

Good luck!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:26 »
Welcome!

Turves sliced off and turned upside down in a stack will make good loam for next year! Watch out for chafer grubs too, as they love grassland!

Like your idea of taking one bit at a time - it makes sense not to get down and try to do the whole lot at once - unless you have a lot of time and energy!

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 11:13 »
we have used cardboard and compost [and horse manure] directly onto grass and weeds at our  site
now several others on site have tried this method [charles dowding] why not try this method and any
other method you were thinking of to see how they compare for us this worked very well beds are still very easy to keep weed free 4 years on  good luck hope you can enjoy it all.
from bow like to grow

Plot94

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 13:08 »
When I got my plot many years ago it was also just a field of grass. I think whichever method you choose my advice would be to carefully think over how you want it to look at the end, I must admit to rushing headlong in and making decisions that I regreted the next year. Good luck and happy growing  :D

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 13:40 »
I would suggest splitting the plot into different manageable sized beds and for now leave grass paths. Plan where you want shed, compost bin etc. If you have smaller beds you can focus on getting them done one at a time rather than looking at the whole plot and wondering how on earth you will get it all done.

smiley
New Allotment from a field

Started by Peter Rabbit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:41
by sunshineband
xx
Clearing a new allotment (was a farmer's field)

Started by 18TheParks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 18:31
by Yorkie
xx
Allotment / garden / field or farm ??

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 08:52
by tetley
xx
Field Turnip

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2020, 17:52
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 45 queries.