"Chicken Memorabilia"

• 88 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 14:05 »
Oooh, I love the turkey plates DD.  

And I've got one of those little metal roosters Rosemary!  An old friend bought him back from Italy for me years ago!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 14:09 »
Found the platter for $300!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Foxy

"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 18:36 »
They are beautiful plates - does the design originate from the States? I haven't seen anything like it before  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 21:09 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
They are beautiful plates - does the design originate from the States? I haven't seen anything like it before  :D

Don't know where the design originated, but the plates etc. were made in England by the Johnson Brothers..

Johnson Brothers

betty

• Experienced Member
BEAUTIFUL
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 19:49 »
That is the most beautiful serving plate I have ever seen.  You are very lucky to own that.  I'm sure it's worth a pretty penny.  Very nice.  Thank you for sharing it.  I'm going to see if I can find a value on it in the states.  I'm not sure how old it is, or if there are any markings on it.  Could you let me know?  Also, how many pieces do you have?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Re: BEAUTIFUL
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 10:17 »
Quote from: "betty"
That is the most beautiful serving plate I have ever seen.  You are very lucky to own that.  I'm sure it's worth a pretty penny.  Very nice.  Thank you for sharing it.  I'm going to see if I can find a value on it in the states.  I'm not sure how old it is, or if there are any markings on it.  Could you let me know?  Also, how many pieces do you have?

There are 6 plates, one serving platter. Price vary, but have seen the plates listed at $42 each & the platter at round $300.

Pattern is 'Barnyard King' from the Johnson Brothers, made in England, purchased about 55-56 yrs ago by my father. (Slight amended to previous - he apparantly bought it for my mother when she was expecting me!)

Bodger

"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 13:17 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "Foxy"

Don't know where the design originated, but the plates etc. were made in England by the Johnson Brothers..

Johnson Brothers

Brings a tear to the eye, my dear old dad worked for Johnson Brothers in Tunstall, Stoke .on. Trent.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 20:18 »
My husband bought me thischicken for Christmas this year. I have been collecting Bridgewater pottery for a good few years now and had always wanted one of these chickens as I remember my grandmother keeping eggs in a china hen. However I always thought they were out of my price range.

I tried to bid on a chicken like this on ebay but lost the bid because it went over what i was willing to pay for it (nearly the same price as at the pottery). So my hubby surprised me and bought me one for Christmas.

I know Emma Bridgewater has a smallholding and keeps chcikens and I think the design might be based on an actual breed. Any idea?

Jaye

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 20:20 »
I love the little yellow chicks Jaye  :D

Selkie

"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 20:23 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I love the little yellow chicks Jaye  :D

:lol: I hadn't noticed the one hiding at the back, it's soooo cute!!

Jaye

• Experienced Member
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 20:51 »
hehe yes they are cute. It always makes me smile. There are a number of "chicken related" Bridgewater pieces. Not necessarily all new stuff though - for example one of the old china patterns was "egg and feather".

Jaye

babypoogle

"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 09:45 »
We used to have a brown one sat on the table when we were kids - we used to put our board in it, just like the Boswells on "Bread"!

Wonder what happened to it.....

Earwen Telemnar

"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 11:12 »
Ooooh I collect chickeny bits and bobs too.  I've got loads of things,I'll have to take photographs. I'm just made up there are other people who love this stuff too. I've got the same trivet Rosemary, in yellow. My favourite things are the ones I find in car boot sales and charity shops but my OH has bought me some lovely new bits too.

I think my favourite item is a little hen like the ones shown already except very small and when you life up her top half there are two little eggs which are for salt and pepper. Bought that off a lady at a boot sale where she said she had bought it for her mum 30 years ago. Aw thought that was nice. Told her it was going to spend it's new life being admired on my dresser.

The thing I most wish I could have bought were a set of four tiny chicken paintings in very ornate frames...just couldn't afford them at the time -  £120 - because of the frames.  They are the ones that got away  :(  Wonder who bought them and I hope they wanted the pictures not just the frames.  

My MiL has also got into buying me chicken things...I got a cockerel tiffany style lamp for my birthday,a cockerel and hen for the garden another time ,a copper cockerel shaped dish thing..forgotten what you call them when she saw it in a charity shop and for Christmas another chook pair which are sitting looking at me right now.

Ooh my first proper post !  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 11:38 »
We'll look forward to seeing some pictures of your collection Earwen  :D

KathyH

• Experienced Member
"Chicken Memorabilia"
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 16:29 »
I have just been into our local Matalan and they have a set of tableware that has handpainted chickens on it! Its cheap and cheerful and lovely for eggy breakfasts!
I got a pair of egg cups, a plate and a tray. Great fun!  :)
Kathy H

xx
First time out for the "5 Week old" Chicks

Started by Dominic on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:24
by Squiggly
xx
"I have a broody hen, let's incubate some eggs"

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 09:55
by joyfull
xx
Eglu "go" - my chickens don't like it

Started by cotswoldchick on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 17:28
by Mum2mj
xx
"Stability at all times"

Started by EnviroChick on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 12:56
by joyfull

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.