Isn't Nature marvellous?

• 8 Replies

viettaclark

Isn't Nature marvellous?
« on: August 04, 2010, 22:13 »
I'm growing butternut again this year although last year I only got 2 tiddlers but I've changed a few things: planted earlier, larger pots. more water and feeding (comfrey tea), NOT pinching out at 4', change of situation to a shadier spot and a line of old tables for them to sprawl over.
They've got to 10' long now and are going strong and putting out secondary vines. There are plenty of flower buds but I've been fascinated by the way Mother Nature organises pollination.
The first buds on all four main vines are males for about 5' length and they've just sat there...I thought they'd died in the heat. Then as the vine grows longer all female buds appear.
Then one male flower opens along with one female and I'm pretty sure I've got a squash because there are masses of insects around. Now a couple more males have opened and a couple more females at the other end of the vine.
Fantastic!!
I was thinking because they were so far apart it wouldn't happen, that the males would flower before the females, but they're just waiting patiently......

Springlands

Re: Isn't Nature marvellous?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:42 »
And all from a (relatively) small seed.  :)

Thrift

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31 »
Fantastic, so clever ! It really makes you realise the importance of bees. I'm definitely going to seek out early flowers to have in pots around my veg plot and tunnel next year.

Any suggestions anyone ?

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27 »
Many an invention of man derives from things taken for granted by nature
Babs

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:03 »
Fantastic, so clever ! It really makes you realise the importance of bees. I'm definitely going to seek out early flowers to have in pots around my veg plot and tunnel next year.

Any suggestions anyone ?

Don't know about early, but the kids and I sowed quite a lot of wildflowers in patches on the lotty - just cheapo Wilko seeds (3 packets for £1.50 type).  The cornflowers have been flowering for weeks and the poppies put on a fantastic display.  I think we have also got stocks, nigella, ahthirrhinum (sp?) and various unidentified flowers too.  The bees absolutely love the flowers so I'll do them again (I'm hoping they will self seed, I'm sure the poppies will).

My sweet peas have been a disappointmnt despite me carefully sowing them in long paper pots.  Never mind!

Youngest also got given a "Fairy Garden" Suttons set and the flowers we sowed from that are producing brilliantly.  Really colourful.

Hope this helps.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49 »
Netto do packs of seeds for 19p(!). All list if they are beneficial to wildlife, flowers like Godetia, stocks, Love-in-a-mist, sunflowers etc are there, and germination was fantastic this year. Don't forget beneficial herbs too, they can benefit you and the bees!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 23:29 »
I have trailing, variagated nasturtiums growing in the squash pots. The seeds survived in my compost and have come up everywhere!
The bees love them and they shade the roots and look pretty......(and there are hollyhocks, roses, hebe, daisies, etc. within 20 ft. so all my crops have brilliant pollination)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 23:35 »
Let the last off your purple sprouting broc go to seed then flower, resist using all of your comfrey and let that flower. That will keep the bees happy from early spring till summer when hopefuly they spoiled for choice :D :D

Thrift

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 06:30 »
Great ideas, thanks everyone. At the moment there's no problem because a large wild fuchsia is swarming with bees ...... sounds like the vuvuzelas all over again !   :D :D

xx
Marvellous Melon

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2022, 13:52
by Learnerlady
xx
Mother Nature

Started by M0rph3u5 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 11:05
by titch
xx
Ain't nature wonderful!

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 09:42
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Lesson learnt about nature

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.