Anyone want to try guessing the sex?

• 9 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Anyone want to try guessing the sex?
« on: May 02, 2011, 15:35 »
Only 4 1/2 weeks old so some may not be as obvious as others. It was sunnier than i thought so I may have to take some different shots of some of them.

Charlotte

Mo

Boudica & Charlotte

Houdini

Gracie

Top, Charlotte, Middle Houdini, Bottom Gracie

Esmerelda

Inside of the run, the roost has been a hit, they love it in the daytime

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Anyone want to try guessing the sex?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 15:47 »
Errr..... esmerelda looks a bit female, but the others look rather male  :( :( :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 19:24 »
I agree with Chookiechook - only one looks female.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 19:30 »
I know, I have posted on another forum out of desperation really, hoping to get a different reply, but no such love. I feel really sad as I can't believe how attached to them I am. We are lucky that we have somewhere to send them and hopefully my friend who had the other 6 of the hatching will have a few more girls, as she only wants 2. I would like 4.
Questions now are can I just mix new ones in when they are young.
How will poor Esmerelda cope when I take her little family away, I am hoping to add the new ones the day the old ones go. I just feel really sad, think I will have to stay away from getting chicks like this, I thought it would average out a bit more.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 20:58 »
It's the luck of the draw I'm afraid gracie, but hopefully Esmerelda will be okay with the new ones, as long as they are still pretty young when you introduce them.  The problem is, sometimes you can't be sure what sex they are until they start to crow or lay eggs.

Good luck!

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 21:03 »
Really really sorry that it looks like you only have one girl  :(  hopefully you'll have more girls than boys with your new ones

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 22:29 »
Squiggly can't believe how I have cried tonight, what  a woos. As someone who knew nothing about chickens I have put everything into rearing these chicks, ok, maybe being a bit of a pain on these forums, but many thanks to the patience of all those involved. I have heard tonight that my friend with the other 6 may also only have 1 hen. How unlucky is that. I am thinking for Esmereldas sake that I shall maybe be asking for advise in how to find some 6 week old hens so I can I introduce them before her boys have to go

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 22:44 »
Oh that's rotten luck if its true!  poor you!  Have you tried the poultry supplies list on here for your area gracie?  one of them may have some chicks about the same age!

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 23:00 »
Thanks grannie, as my husband says I have to realise I have given them a truly loving start ( these are pets, think I have learnt not to do it this way again). I have an experience to share with other novices to give back a bit of what I have gained on this site. I have looked at the local providers, I have found 2 I could go to very easily. Is there a way a novice buyer can check where is a good place to buy. It's all such a shame, they looked a perfect little family on their roost tonight. Love em x

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 23:12 »
You're right to be caustious gracie!  there are a lot of crooks in the chicken world!

Wherever you go to look at chicks, check them over first, make sure they are bright eyed and bushy tailed!  not moping around, check their vent area to make sure its clean.

I have heard that some suppliers don't let you in, they tell you to wait at the door while they go and get you some chickens!  If they don't let you see where and how the chicks live, run a mile!

Our set up may not be the most professional one going, but people are always welcomed in to meet the 'family' and see what we do.  All the chicks I raise are my babies until they go to their new homes or in the freezer! lol  and I try to give them a good life, although I'm trying to get my Brian to do more than he has before, as it was him who wanted to be a poultry farmer, not me! lol

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.