What is our world coming to?

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

What is our world coming to?
« on: March 06, 2020, 12:17 »
Mods, before I write this post please delete or edit as necessary.

Today I heard that someone with Coronavirus received death threats as do some politicians and other people in the firing line. This is not the world I grew up in so how do we stop it?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What is our world coming to?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 12:29 »
Sadly we can't change it. Internet anonymity has enabled people spout off with whatever they like without empathy for the person at the other end of the abuse.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 19:59 »
As Plot 1 says. Anonymity.
Morons will be morons, whatever the situation. It can't be stopped.
Coupled with the prevailing sense of entitlement that seems to encompass modern life, everyone has an opinion and seems to think that gives them the right to express it.
They indeed have the right to free speech, but not the freedom to escape it's consequences.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 20:48 »
There's an undercurrent of baseless entitlement to whatever can be got for nothing, which is a core belief of people who just believe they're victims of whatever they seem to think they should have, when there are 'haves and have-nots'.

Once a cause is recognised, like - say - a benefit in kind, or monetary, the entitlement manifests itself in a false sense of appropriate receipt, whether it is earned or un-earned.

This feeling of 'justification' for whatever the recipient of such largesse suggests that they have a totally unrealistic view of how to proceed when others are trying to run the same scenario.

Thus, when someone is unfortunate, the original 'victims', who have produced a 'result', decide to vilify others in diverse ways, deciding that they are better than the rest, and believing that they are being righteous in putting down 'lesser' mortals, who are still suffering, nonetheless, but the original victim will really think he is winning the fight - albeit subject to a simple fallacy in his own mind.

Thus, someone who is unfortunate enough to contract such an affliction as a serious disease, or a virus, such as Covid 19, is judged to be 'inferior', and often seen as a threat, hence the insulting, anonymous indignation displayed by the said original victim. It is thoughtless, full of reverse envy, and unsubtle, but twisted, bitter and usually the aspiration of an unreasonable, probably unrealistic, and under performing person.

He knows that nobody will attack him personally, so hides behind these 'threats', and continues a smug existence, thinking he has achieved something, which to most normal people, isn't the case.

It's so easy to be a victim these days, blaming just about everyone and everything for their own failings, but not being too bright on the subject, it's an easy aggressive technique with no fear of reprisal!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 21:27 »
Very well observed Growster.

I've had the privilage of being able to access the internet since the mid-90's (I can still hear the dial-up adapter noise in my head!) and it saddens me to see how much this fantastic resource has been appropriated by the worst elements of society to be used as a tool of belittlement, bullying and self-justification.
Apart from over-generous Nigerian princes, it used to be groups of like minded people with common interests helping each other out, much like this site here.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 23:44 by Plot 1 Problems »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 21:28 »
As Gc says, it is not the World I grew up in, Sad, but not easy to change now.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 10:29 »
This type of abusive nastiness has always been around in my view.  People used to be openly racist, homophobic or sexist and make comments at work, down the pub and in the street to belittle and beat down others.   That is really frowned on now and you would probably be challenged if heard speaking that way, but the internet offers an anonymous platform to air your inner pond scum mentality.  Perhaps that makes it easier for them to lash out  :unsure: 

Behaviour like that is not welcome here and we send John out with his death ray if need be, but it really is a once in a blue moon situation.  Thousands of people are members, some just read, others post, but all in good heart and with no malice.  This site shows that if you create the right atmosphere, the trolls stay away for the most part  :)

I think there is going to be a lot more regulation and monitoring on social media sites before too long (and not just for their own money grubbing escapades as currently happens), but that is another story  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 11:36 »
The trouble with
regulation and monitoring
is it can so easily used as a method of stopping free-speech.
There are things on your 'watch-list' that are still questions of conscience/religious belief/interpretation throughout society as a whole - especially when one group's rights is seen as overriding  another group's rights - so who gets to decide what is allowed without censure?
It is something society has always struggled with, and with so very many different, 'focus groups' shall we call them? sure their way is the only way, which leaves many problems for others with a different view-point.
I'm not sure what will happen next tbh, but believe there will be some major 'battles' ahead for society in general.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:37 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 12:52 »
Tell you what, if I was walking past a group of builders and one gave me a wolf-whistle I'd walk on air all the way home! This actually happened when I went back to my birthplace in Crewe and the wolf-whistler had the best hairy chest I've ever seen. I would have given him one of my bestest hugs but the newly laid cement and a slightly disapproving look from their supervisor stopped me in my tracks. I had the same experience many years ago when I went into town in my lunch hour. Whilst I was doing a fast swerve around the corner of a shop I found myself stepping onto some newly-laid concrete so I made my apologies and made a quick exit. Tell you what, if he'd done the lift from "Dirty Dancing" I would have chucked my job in!  :lol:

xx
News of the World

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post November 21, 2022, 00:52
by Subversive_plot
xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post October 27, 2021, 19:17
by Growster...
xx
Has the world gone completely mad ???

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post April 03, 2019, 17:31
by Goosegirl
xx
gardeners world

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post October 29, 2017, 09:58
by Truffle

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 48 queries.