Potatos

• 8 Replies

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Potatos
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:16 »
I will be planting potatos for Christmas hopefully this weekend at the allotment but then thought I have a large pot that I grew a few peas in.  Could I put a few potatos in there or would the soil have too much nitrogen for the potatos?  Just thought it would be easier to pull up a few spuds outside my backdoor rather than go up the allotment Christmas morning.  What do you all think?
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:06 »
I haven't got an allotment, so all of my spud are grown in large tubs around the garden.  Like you I shall plant up more next week.  I use grow-bag soil because thats all I,ve got and I have good big crops, with no problems of any sort.  Car tyres work well, starting off ith one and then adding more on top.  Fill the insides of the tyres with newspaper which saves on soil, and stops quick dry-out.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Rowan

• Experienced Member
Potatos
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 19:25 »
not wanting to sound like an idiot but.............

isn't it too late to plant potatoes? if it is still possible to get a crop before Christmas what kind should i plant as i too would love some ready fro Christmas day.....

should have swede and parsnip, some tatties would be awesome

iwantanallotment

Potatos
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 20:11 »
It's not too late to plant potatoes for Christmas, Rowan.
Early Sept is the usual time, and in containers if your area is prone to frosts so that they can be moved into a greenhouse/indoors if necessary.
Garden centres & online seedsmen will have seed potatoes for Christmas on sale now, and there are a few on eBay  :wink:

johnhar

Potatos
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 20:19 »
it is rather late to plant taters now as they are very day length sensitive so the tops will die off about the end of october  unless you put them under growlights, this is why the late tate tops are usually all died down by end of october, so by planting now you only get 3 months growing time. to get new tates for Christmas they want planting in the last week in june & when the tops die back you lift the tubers & store them in moist peat or a similar substance. so next year save a few seed tubers of an early variety
, keep them cool and deshoot so they are nicely chitted ready to plant end of june
good luck have fun :)
john

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Potatos
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:42 »
Now I am totally confused whether it is too late or not to plant my Charlotte potatos for Christmas someone please helppppppppppp

iwantanallotment

Potatos
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 13:08 »
Several do cs, albeit in containers.
Maybe this link will explain better : http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0903/Christmas_potatoes.asp  :wink:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Potatos
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 19:28 »
Thank you   :D  now back to my original question can I use the same compost I grew peas in?

iwantanallotment

Potatos
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 20:48 »
I've only grown mine in either fresh compost or in soil in the ground, so I can't say cs.
Compost only retains its nutrients for 5 weeks so maybe it'd be ok if you fed - but I wouldn't like to say.
Hopefully someone else will know  :wink:

xx
Potatos again

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 18:33
by gobs
xx
potatos

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 12:16
by mumofstig
xx
potatos

Started by mollymuggles on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2016, 11:37
by DD.
xx
potatos

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 17:29
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 40 queries.