Recipe for Beetroot wine

• 4 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Recipe for Beetroot wine
« on: November 03, 2009, 13:24 »
Hi

Still got loads and fed up with pickle.  Can't find a wine recipe anywhere, can anyone help please?  :)

hank scorpio

Re: Recipe for Beetroot wine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:33 »
Hey,

i had some beetroot out the garden about 3 months ago and i boiled them up to pickle them, saw the liquid left over and decided to make wine out of it.

I added 3lbs of sugar to the warm mixture after i had removed the beetroot for pickling and strianed it through a tea towel. 1 teaspoon of yeast, 1 teaspoon of yeast nutient when it had cooled to lukewarm, popped it in a demijohn and then i let it get on with fermenting.

Bubbled away for about 2-3weeks then stopped so i transfered it to another demijohn to get it off the dead yeast at the bottom then it started bubbling again. After a week it stopped and was crystal clear so i bottled it.

I took a bottle to a party a month ago and it went very quickly, a very sweet wine but real nice flavour and so easy, i'll be making some more next year for sure.

It's a bit simple this recipe, but thats what i like about it. none of that adding acid and tannins stuff.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 20:52 »
Hi, 4 lb. beet chopped 1 bag sugar ( or more to taste ) 2 table spoons of lemon juice 1 tea spoon of wine yeast. Boil beet for 30 min. strain put sugar in when cool add lemon & yeast needs racking well but a good deep coloured wine.

littlepete

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 17:40 »
i made some beetroot wine two years ago and i had a bottle after 12 months its a acquired taste  i can tell you nice with cheese i gave 4 bottles away and kept one will give it a try over Xmass and let you know what it tastes like after 2 years urrrrgh i think
cor blimey is that the time

crazypeanut

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 21:13 »
Hi,

As the beetroot seems to have alot of natural sugar I added 2lb sugar but also added cloves to the brew! Now waiting for my year to be up to taste it!

xx
recipe for pea pod wine please?

Started by poppie on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 20:53
by Jay Dubya
xx
Anyone have a recipe for cucumber wine?

Started by Beetie on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 14:06
by Newportalien
clip
Apricot Wine Recipe?

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2019, 14:39
by Auntiemogs
xx
Wine recipe list?

Started by fallen angel on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 18:26
by seadart

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.