plastic greenhouse

• 5 Replies

Chas62

plastic greenhouse
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:27 »
I am thinking of getting a greenhouse. I see the plastic ones are cheaper. Does anyone have one and are they good enough? I heard that they let in less light. I live in south london and I want to save money and get a good greenhouse at the same time what's your experience on this?

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Re: plastic greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:18 »
If your proposed site is windy .. avoid these plastic greenhouses.

Have a look in the local press . folk are often selling or even giving away their old greenhouses. OK, you'll have to dismantle it first, but if I can do it (and did) so can anybody

Chas62

polycarbonate greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 15:47 »
Does anyone have experience of polycarbonate greenhouses with aluminium frames? I understand they let in less light, but they are cheaper and safer. I live in London. Would you recommend it against glass ones? I want to establish seedlings in it and then grow tomatoes, peppers etc. I would appreciate your opinions, thanks.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: polycarbonate greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 16:29 »
I had one when i was in the UK and it was great. The biggest problem was trying to keep the sheets in place when there were gale force winds as it was in a bit of a wind tunnel, but if bits blew off we just put them in the garage till it abated. However there was never a problem when we had stuff in it.

There was no problem with light levels, no leggy seedlings. I used to pack it full with tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and cucumbers for the summer though I preferred to grow outside. The greenhouse was just for insurance in case of bad weather and for propogation. It is easy to fit an auto opening window thingy from the garden centre.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: polycarbonate greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 16:58 »
MY daughter had one in her previous garden, as with young children she thought it might be safer than glass. No issues with light levels, but as Tosca said panes were prone to disappear in very high winds... they can be put back in of course
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Chas62

Re: plastic greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 21:18 »
Thanks for the replies. Glad to know the light is not a problem. Helpful to know about the wind problem. Good idea about the window opener. With that I could put it in the allotment.

xx
How much use is a plastic greenhouse?

Started by JulesJ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 12:53
by JulesJ
xx
Been given a plastic greenhouse frame

Started by Only1Dionne on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 16:12
by Only1Dionne
xx
Re: Been given a plastic greenhouse frame

Started by onthebeach on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 17:03
by DD.
xx
Re: Been given a plastic greenhouse frame

Started by Only1Dionne on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 00:16
by Only1Dionne

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.