Not enough soil to earth my potatoes

• 5 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Not enough soil to earth my potatoes
« on: May 16, 2010, 15:12 »
My small veg plot is in my garden. This is my second year of growing. Last year my spuds were there primarily to improve the soil, and this year I have moved them into 2 raised beds (also to try and improve the soil). My potential problem is that I have earthed up once and the leaves are sprouting again rapidly. I don't think I will have enough soil around them all to earth up. Has anyone got any suggestions what I can do, or would I be ok to leave them without earthing them.

The variety is Sante and yukon gold

Ruby Red

Re: Not enough soil to earth my potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 15:25 »
You could always use straw. Anything would do as long as it stays in situ. Its just to stop the light getting to the shoots which helps the tubers underneath.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 15:40 »
Last year my spuds were there primarily to improve the soil, and this year I have moved them into 2 raised beds (also to try and improve the soil).

Growing spuds doesn't improve your soil in any way.  Any benefit is from you digging to plant and harvest them.

If you want to earth them up some more (all this does is improve the yield) you can cover them with, soil, compost, straw or even shredded paper.  I plant in mine in a trench which gives me 2 levels of earthing up, the first to level the ground and then a mound on the plant.

Can you bring soil from another part of the garden?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 16:08 »
Almost true, Lardman. Potatoes don't add anything to the soil but they do help break up hard soil very well which is why some folk plant them. I knew people who moved into a newly built house and put in spuds as their 'front lawn' hardpan for a year, and then seeded grass the following year for a much nicer growing.

Yukon Golds don't keep sending out potatoes along their growing shoot as other varieties do, so you'll probably find what you've hilled is enough. If you do find the odd one sticking out, as suggested, use damp straw or old leaves to cover, or a piece of black weed suppresant. If you've got more frost coming, then fleece.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 16:17 »
....  but they do help break up hard soil very well which is why some folk plant them.

Im going to have to respectfully disagree  :D  But I am open to scientific proof, wheres Iain when you want him?  :nowink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 16:20 »
I think it's the action of planting, hilling up and harvesting that breaks up the soil, rather than anything the spuds do. i.e. - all the back breaking work you put in yourself!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Should I earth up my potatoes again?

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 10:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
My potatoes are sprouting! When to earth up?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 00:45
by agapanthus
xx
Can you earth up potatoes with grass clippings?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 20:49
by Trillium
xx
Clay Soil for Potatoes

Started by chasechicken on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:17
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 38 queries.